1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Admittedly, this is a stupid and worthless question, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

DOH!

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Welcome to Overthinking 2.0...

I sent an email to the guy heading the search last week saying thanks for the consideration, etc. (My form letter had said they'd let candidates know about scheduling phone interviews before end of August.) Anyway, within minutes of sending my email, I get a reply saying that the search was in fact not over and that if I were to be considered, they'd contact me sometime next (meaning this) week.

More not-so-common courtesy, or reason to be optimistic?

Signed,

The Stupid Guy Asking the Stupid Questions

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's impossible to tell. You can't control the process, so you have to try not to let it stress you out.

Hiring always takes more time than the person doing the hiring anticipates. And, when it overlaps with Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc., it takes even longer than that.

People are out of the office. They're focused on other things -- including planning their time out of the office.

You've done the right thing. You applied. You followed up.

They've acknowledged you twice, including one informal email. You've got a chance.

Relax and go do something to take your mind off of it.

4. UNCGrad

Not sure if anything meant anything, but I got the phone call today to set up a prelim phone interview -- a week from now. Gives me plenty of time to prepare (more).

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It means that you have a phone interview. It can either be the hiring person, or this may mean they'll have someone on the other end of the line asking a list of questions and typing in your answers. They will then give the list to the hiring commmittee, who will compare yours with others and then decide who to bring in for an in-person interview.

Either way, it's the second step of what usually is a pretty long process. Be prepared for the interview, but don't get too overly excited.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had a preliminary phone interview once with a major sports organization that was an absolute joke. One of the questions was who my current favorite athlete was in that organization. Um, hadn't prepared for that one. Had to be an outside agency, though the questions had to have come from the hiring managers. I did not get hired. Maybe it's because I declined to name a favorite athlete.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're fucked.

Since we're sj buddies, will you give me complimentary super-sizing on my fries?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

UPD?

9. UNCGrad

Phoner will be with department and search committee chair.

And yes on the fries.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

How has this not been posted yet?

[​IMG]

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good luck, UNC!

Draft saved Draft deleted