1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Admittedly, this is a stupid and worthless question, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Aug 24, 2011.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

OK, I know this is probably worthless to ask, but I'll throw it out there anyway in case anybody has had any similar dealings.

I've applied for a media relations job at a private university where HR didn't have an online application process, but actually wanted mailed resume, cover and references. I did all that a couple of weeks ago.

Today, I got a letter from HR saying thanks for the materials and the interest, they are reviewing applicants and will be setting up phone interviews at the end of the month. If I'm a finalist, they'll call.

Form letter, right? Nothing more, nothing less?

I guess I'm so jaded from the past that I don't expect for employers to use such courtesy (or pay for the shipping). Alas.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In my experience, at a college, everyone who sends in a packet will get a letter like that. That doesn't mean you are or aren't a potential finalist.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not knowing the school or their hiring process, it's probably a form letter. But it beats the hell out a form rejection letter.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You might be surprised to know I once got six form rejection letters from one job that I applied for at a college.

5. Mystery Meat II

Yet you still think you're good enough to work there.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I was overqualified, dammit.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Plain-Dealer has a college too?

8. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

There are no stupid questions - just stupid people.

I still cannot believe the number of places these days that don't acknowledge your submission at all and don't extend the courtesy of even a form letter.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or a form e-mail.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, in education if doing something once will suffice, why not repeat it five times.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people.

That's all I've got.

12. Mystery Meat II

Draft saved Draft deleted