1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Admissions Policies for Elite Public Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 1, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jackson Heights and Flushing are teaming with rich immigrants.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The type of parents who get their kids into test prep that intense would set up their kids to succee academically by any standard. Fair or not, meritocracy favors certain upbringings.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My wife used to teach at a public school that was one of the better schools in a city not known for its strong academic reputation. In literature bragging on its diversity, the school said that "both black and white students" are welcome. As good as that school was/is (not sure; don't live there any longer), the boneheadedness of some of the stuff it produced was amazing.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Teeming.

Also, you are taking a broad demographic profile of an entire region and assuming it applies for this subset of 50 or 100 kids. That's just stupid of you.

Chinese and Indian parents who bring their kids here have an astronomically higher educational and financial background than other immigrant communities.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Asian-American household income is considerably higher than the average.

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/19/asian-immigrants-america-surpass-hispanics

As a group, Asian immigrants stand out for their disproportionate participation in the top end of the labor market and high levels of education and income, according to the Pew report, "The Rise of Asian-Americans". Asians account for three-quarters of new H-1B visas for highly skilled workers. India alone accounted for 56% of H-1Bs issued in 2011. The median household income of Asian Americans was $66,000, compared with a national average of $49,800.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I would of have never passed that test.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I took that test a million years ago -- the day that I took the test, there was a parade for the hostages coming back from Iran -- and got into Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science but whiffed on Stuyvesant. I remember that I was totally clueless as to the format until I sat down to take the test, but there were certainly lots of kids who took prep sessions/were tutored even then.

It is probably more of a preparation/awareness thing than just a money thing. I will say, if you go to Science or especially Stuyvesant, that is a mark of prestige which can last a lifetime.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Thanks for the black mark. ;)

Both my father and I attended Bronx Science. The demographics of the school have certainly changed. Back when my dad was there, it was mostly Jews -- many of them first-generation Americans -- and predominantly from the Bronx. My friends were mainly Asians from Queens who endured two-hour commutes each way for school.

I went to a prep course for the exam because my mom insisted on it. Most of my friends did not. Same thing for the SAT and, much more recently, the GRE. Like Webster, I'm not sure it was a matter of economics. They didn't even know such a thing existed back when we were all in eighth grade.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would be nice to hear the folks filing the suit explain how the tests are racially biased to benefits Asians but not whites, blacks and Hispanics.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The typical kid at Stuyvesant HS or Bronx High School of Science is not what you are imagining. Yankee was kind of right. They are poor kids of immigrants. Flushing is a microcosm of Asian immigration in NYC. Parents are typically blue collar, work their asses off. Typical story means working for someone within the community who helps you get on your feet, with the goal being to open a bodega or some other kind of retail operation with pooled money from the community that gets lent to help their own. Some drive cabs. Typical home has extended families or multiple families crammed into a small apartment. Any test prep those kids take to get into Stuyvesant or Bronx Science is coming from what little the family has. That is how much of a premium they put on getting into those schools.

This is not the Asian grad student immigrant or business tycoon you have in mind. These are poor people who escaped places where there was little opportunity to pursue the American dream in the same way countless other immigrant groups did in the past. This is of course a generalization, and generalizations can be tired, but they put a huge premium on education for their children -- to the point that he pressure is relentless. They can't afford better schools, so the NYC Public School system is it for them, and within that system three or four magnet schools are the target. So they apply in disproportionate numbers -- which is why they are so overrepresented. I believe the ones they try for are Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech. Townsend Harris and Staten Island Tech, are pretty good too, I believe.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand that characterization, Ragu. My wife is from a family like that. Very blue-collar -- here. But in their home country they were very well-educated, as most from the culture are. And not coincidentally, most of the immigrants from Asia are here legally and thus are more likely to be engaged in available services and opportunities.

Even in those blue-collar communities, the education and financial profile of the parents would be much higher than in a similar community of Latin immigrants (or, for that matter, in many neighborhoods that are predominantly African-American).

It's a tough situation because the opportunities are available and one culture chooses to prioritize and use them while another culture doesn't. So the results are about what you'd expect. But to YF's earlier question of how many of those kids are getting the test prep and tutoring, I would again say, in the Asian cultures probably all of them, even if we would consider them poor or low-income.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I believe you have most of that right. My understanding of Little Taipei, which is kind of what Flushing turned into, is that they had better educational levels (speaking generally) than what Chinatown gets, and it is a bit nicer living conditions. They get here and opportunities are limited and they end up having to work their asses off. I am not sure they are that engaged in available services, as you put it, but that is a cultural thing. One, there aren't that many available services. NYC is strapped. Secondly, Asian communities tend to be very insular. People turn to each other and take care of each other.

As for the test prep, yeah, those kids prepare like mad for those tests, from what I am told. Which again, is why they are so disproportionately represented. They put a huge premium on getting a spot at Stuyvesant or Bronx Science. The parents push the kids and they do extra schooling and test prep with that goal in mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted