1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Admissions Policies for Elite Public Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 1, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should a single test be the sole criteria? How important is diversity?

Of course my fear is the process being corrupted by politicians if the standard is not black & white (no pun intended).

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Very, very, very few school systems do this.

And apples do not fall far from trees.

Most children are given the brains (IQ) to succeed, it's just exercising these brains in the proper home environment that separates some students from others.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Hard-working immigrants just delight in embarassing everyone else.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More like it's exploited by those who can afford to hire tutors for their children to teach them the one test, rather than exploited by politicians.

5. YankeeFan

How many first generation kids from Asia or the Indian subcontinent do you think had hired tutors?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For the test? Probably all of them.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where does it say 'first generation' in that story?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think the tests are necessarily culturally biased. I think they are biased in favor of people who have the means to know how to ace them. That doesn't necessarily mean a private tutor or classes. It does mean buying the right books, for example, not just whatever clap trap is for sale at B&N.

9. YankeeFan

It certainly doesn't, but those communities are growing, and they make up a big percentage of the students at these schools -- especially as compared to the population at large.

I'll have to look for some numbers, but I think it's safe to assume that first generation kids are among the attendees.

10. YankeeFan

A little outdated, but useful:

11. YankeeFan

Though, some of them do have tutors -- years in advance of the test:

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are really stretching to make it sound like these first-generation kids are immigrants with all the inherent disadvantages that being from Mexico or the Dominican Republic carries. If they are immigrants, it is more likely that they moved here with a parent who is a highly paid employee or a graduate student.

Draft saved Draft deleted