1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Administrative bloat' and the cost of higher education

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Despite whatever figures are mentioned in this article, salaries in higher education suck.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless you're a diversity officer.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Which is 0.000000001% of the working folks in higher education?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

From the jobs I've looked at, the salaries aren't brilliant but the benefits are way, way better than most similarly-paying jobs.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This is a true statement.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Purdue has a provost, six vice provosts and 11 vice presidents. (Also 16 deans, but it seems reasonable that every school has a dean.) If that were an appropriate number, it would have been that way a decade ago too. But the overall number of administrative employees grew 54 percent in that time.

If that leadership team were, say, 12 people instead of 18 -- and if some salaries were right-sized along the way -- the savings to the university would be in the millions of dollars. And I don't know if any less work would get done.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Here is something for perspective:
    I got my bachelors degree in the 1990s. My tuition, start to finish in just under four years, was less than $11,000 total at nearby state u.
    I am currently about halfway to getting my masters (not in journalism thank the lord). The tuition for the program is approximately $12,000 and takes 15 months at a small private college. Fortunately, my wife teaches at the college, so our bill is $0.
    Undergraduate tuition at her school is $30K A YEAR.

Draft saved Draft deleted