1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adios, Kay Bailey Hutchison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 16, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One GOP cocksucker admitted to this very fact. Talk about only wanting to have it your way. Typical of most GOPers, of course!

From the LAT:

"I don't like being in the minority," said Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), who was first elected in the 1994 GOP landslide and will retire after this term. "It's not that much fun, and the pros- pects for the future don't look that good."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now that, my friends, is a public servant in the truest sense of the word.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yes and no. Neither have much power, thanks to a texas system that can be very screwy sometimes, but seems to work more often than not.
    The main powers the Lt. Gov have is presiding over the senate and assigning committees. Like the US government, committees are a big thing in Texas. But even his assigning power is limited, again due to the system. He does get to assign bills to committees, and has the deciding vote in case of a tie on the Senate floor (which sound important, but really, ties are very rare in any government).
    The Gov. primarily is a "bully pulpit" but has veto power. And that's a screwy thing too, but one that can be very powerful as Perry proved with a recent veto of Community College health insurance funds.
    Without going into a lot of detail, the governor can wait to veto a bill until basically the legislative session has ended, and unless a special session is called the veto stands because the session is done, and so they can't override it.

Kay Bailey isn't all bad. Perry could be a joke in congress...even more so than some people now.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When the pork barrel isn't going to roll your way, time to hop off the public tit and get a real job.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Too bad - Kay was actually the major babe of the Senate for awhile, before Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., was elected.

6. I am now officially concerned about you, lad.
    Kerry Healey or Shannon O'Brien?
    Discuss.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Stephanie Herseth. (Not a Senator, just yet, but I'm throwing her hat in the ring anyway)

Draft saved Draft deleted