1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ADIOS, GOODBYE, GTFO 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 24, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2020 ...

tenor.gif

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sorry to all you late time zone folks for having to endure another few hours of 2020.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could go in the twitter topic, but fits here:

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Nine minutes left to this sorry mutha.

6. OscarMadison

Someone will be suicidal at 11:59:32 and I will not be able to sign off. I just know it.

7. OscarMadison

...aaaand that's a year.

8. OscarMadison

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Schefter working all 5 of his smartphones to get the late-night scoop:

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

2020 sucked ass overall but I guiltily benefitted from Covid.

I was downsized in Aug 2019. Had interviews right away and came close on a few things. Kept feeling something was good around the corner. Christmas had hiring dried up and then Covid and nobody was hiring.

My employment insurance benefits ran out in June but here in Canuckistan the govt was giving $500/week extending benefits due to Covid. This helped bridge the gap to starting back to work in August 2020 at a great company with tons of stability. No Covid and we are probably selling our home.

Had told the kids we’d get a dog once I was back working and we adopted a great 11 month old 3 weeks ago, missed having a dog so much.

August also saw my brother in law and sister in law get to adopt a newborn baby with less than 24 hours notice after waiting 7 years. So amazing.

Biggest thing I missed in 2020 was my kids sports. Hoping for some normalcy in 2021 and will always look at 2020 with mixed emotions.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not to get into it too much, as someone 5 years waiting, this is fantastic for them. Overall glad you and yours came out ahead!

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I got so lucky with the pandemic. I left my job at the end of 2017 to focus completely on going back to school for my credential. Spent the next year and a half living off of student loans, credit cards and random sub gigs I got along the way. Wife was working, but we also got hit with vet bills that drained us. So after a lot of stress, tears, anger and just all emotions in between, I landed a middle school job in July 2019 that was a God send. Great kids and coworkers. Then Covid hits and we go distance. As bad as it is, I take a step back and think, what if I had waited to get out of the business? I'm in a job that is secure. I'm not depending on sub gigs. I'm not working for a tight ass who severely cut the hours of everyone. As much as not working regularly sucked, I had options to get some money. Now in the pandemic, I don't have to worry.

But just when I thought I was going to get out of 2020 merely inconvenienced, knowing only one person who only had mild Covid symptoms, one of my good friends not only got it, but lost his wife. His mother-in-law needed to be hospitalized and he was isolated while grieving the loss of his wife. I was angry with how selfish people were at the start of this, but now I seethe when people down play how bad it is.

And that's just Covid. There was so much more that drained me emotionally this year. But looking forward to a new year with a new hope. Not much will change 27 minutes from now, but at least good things are coming ... hopefully

2020 can go to hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted