1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ADIOS, GOODBYE, GTFO 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 24, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man, I would like to think everything changes with a new calendar, but I can't help but think a lot of things will be forever different when things get closer to normal. A lot of stuff that we did because we "always did them" not because we actually liked or wanted to - just repetitive behavior and social normalizing/expectations for the most part.
    It's nice to no longer stress about stuff that really doesn't matter in the big picture.

Curious what people will take from 2020 into the new year and what they plan to leave behind for good - and maybe it has nothing to do with COVID-19, but the year just provided you an opportunity to realize it.

ALSO - I'm nominating myself for PPOY (Prophetic Post of the Year) for this in the RIP Buck Henry thread back on Jan. 9th.

"You know him even if you think you might not. Ten-time SNL host, writer, actor - had the ability to make you laugh and think at the absurdities of life. If you haven't seen "To Die For" with Nicole Kidman - you should.
    Looks like 2020 is going to be that kind of year.

Buck Henry Dead: ‘Graduate’ Writer, ‘Get Smart’ Co-Creator, ‘SNL’ Favorite Was 89 – Deadline

And then CD Boogie with the follow....

"Ya mean where people die?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

These are the things I’ll carry forward from 2020 until I leave this earth in 30 years or so:

I will definitely give people more physical space. If someone stands too close to me, I’ll move and/or give them The Eye.

I’ll never eat at a buffet again.

I’ll get my annual physicals annually, instead of the every 3-4 years that has been my recent trend.

I’ll carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere, and actually use it.

More of my free time will include family and friends, with fewer random experiences that I do just to say I did. (Granted, I’ve been just about everywhere I want to go, but I’ll still want to travel — I’ll just want more of that travel being centered around connecting with people about whom I care and less about the going.)

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's sweet some people here think 2020 is actually going to end.

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

I agree. See ya 2020. Oh and a big FU on your way out.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You're probably right - I'm waiting for this...a stoppage time official coming out on New Years Eve.....

upload_2020-12-24_5-20-55.jpeg

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2020 can eat a pound of my shit.
    In fact, I'll never refer to it as 2020 again, it will forever be 20--.
    What a hideous debacle of a year.
    The next 6 1/2 days can't get over with fast enough.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I’m thinking Jan. 20 will be more significant than Jan. 1.
    There were several threads here I didn’t bother with, the politics one especially. But a couple of years ago I started reading it. And about a year ago I even posted on it. I’ve even gotten into a few political arguments on here and Facebook.
    I am hoping to return to my non-political ways, realizing how much time was spent plowing through that thread.

TowelWaver, HanSenSE, wicked and 2 others like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm done with politics Jan. 20. I don't care what's happening on the Hill, what's happening in Justice, none of it. I'm taking my life back.

I could have written a book (or at least made a pitch) instead of following this sorry criminal syndicate for the last 1,400 days.

Anything would have been more productive than this. It's his real 'legacy' - the time he caused all of us to waste.

I quietly think the world of a lot of folks here and hope the new year is far less cruel than this one has been.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My biz partner and I are spinning up a new company (by taking over an existing one that is going out of biz) in an industry that we're not overly familiar with, and hiring 30+ people in the USA and the Philippines, and we only decided to do this this past Thanksgiving so it's been a helluva sprint as we have to get it all done by Jan. 1...and yet, when my partner yesterday said, "man, I wish we had a few more weeks before Jan. 1" I pretty much ripped him a new one for even suggesting such a horrible thing! Good riddance, 2020!!!!

Chef2, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Since March 15, my wife and I have been living in a perpetual "Groundhog Day." That's when it seemed life as it was stopped and life as it will be continues. The logic of trying to define your odds of safety in a pandemic where illogic and panic reign -- and no one seems to want to take charge -- has left us all marooned in space-time.

Today feels as much like March as it did July or September. Only the weather gives any indication that time has passed. We get up, eat, argue with each other (or sit in separate rooms), eat, argue some more (or listen to each other's phone conversations), eat and go to bed. At least with retirement, there's no reliance on the clock or calendar (with the exception of those pesky doctors and dentists), so I have no idea what actual day it might be today past Christmas Eve.

But we won't be going to a candlelight service or visiting with friends or family or eating at the Chinese restaurant tonight. It's basically no different than every other day since we decided to abandon Florida for the cabin in Georgia. We pop up out of our hiding place just long enough to fill the car with groceries and gas, then zip home. The motorhome sits on the driveway, empty and up for sale, because we have no idea when "travel" will be commonplace for us.

Other than three rounds of golf, my entertainment consists of simple but engaging activities. And then I waste time on this site, just to see what stupid things are happening to other people. Thank you for that.

We don't trust anything or anybody outside of our bubble. We aren't going back to Florida. We aren't eating out. The idea of attending an event with a crowd of any size is daunting. And I have no idea how long we will feel this way until the sense of "normalcy" returns. It could be that we never get comfortable with social gatherings with strangers again.

Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.

May the promise of widespread vaccinations and a change in leadership give us hope that 2021 will have a different outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted