1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adele Vogue cover "controversy"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Its like 4 to 6 percent.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some people might say that most people are attractive. I guess it's where you set the bar.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is going to end so, so badly.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

or how many you have at the bar.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Anyone who says that is spouting a meaningless platitude. Nobody sets the bar that low.

6. Dick Whitman

It's a 20-to-1 shot.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Exactly. And Dick, I'd contend that attractive in the sense of glamour magazine cover stars is more 20 million-to-1.

8. Dick Whitman

Apparently, Adele herself at some point thought she was too much of a real woman:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/adele-through-the-years-20120214

9. Dick Whitman

It's a reference.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

An unattractive person is worth .7 of an attractive one.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This board gets weirder by the year. A legitimate conversation at the start turns into ugh.

Anyway, I can't tell to what extent Adele's been airbrushed here - some I'd guess - but getting in a corset? That's on her. You're about to win six Grammos and you've sold millions of albums, no Vogue impressario or photographer can really tell you what to do, can they?

It rolls back to uniquely marketable and talented people - actors, musicians, athletes - not having one-quarter of the common sense most of us have. They rely on their assistants, handlers and managers to walk them through regular life because their job is to be "on" as much as possible. Adele may not have a voice by 30. There is no reason, either, for her to make a third album before she's 24 years old. That's the bloodsuckers talking. They want to milk the cow dry. That's how most handlers are.

Is there anything wrong with being thin and in shape? No. Absolutely not. But I can tell you most female actors and musicians aren't in shape - they're on drugs. A lot of them are on prescription drugs. Or they kill themselves with bizarre diets and exercise regimens that college/NFL football players could only reasonably handle. And unlike football teams, which have a fleet of trainers, doctors, nutritionists on hand, celebs are often left hiring people recommended to them, con artists, thieves, hacks with phony licenses, you name it. That's how they end up like Whitney Houston, Mickey Rourke, Britney Spears, you name it. You've met a Britney Spears "type" 100 times in your life. Pretty, southern, a little slow on the uptake, mildly talented singer, selfish parents. They don't end up with a shaved head in a psych ward. Outside agents do that to them.

The show is admittedly dumb, but watch Celebrity Rehab sometime. Almost to a person, each participant will try to leave at least once. What's that about? Pressure from their handlers/agents/assistants to work. To show up at a club. To go to a trade show. To feed the beast of celebrity. The Kardashians will crash and burn eventually, but, for now, they're popular, truly, because they will do anything and be anywhere you ask them, dressed to the hilt, for the right price. Paris Hilton may do it again one day, but had she done it much longer, she'd be dead by now.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Adele clearly has lost weight, based on her appearance at the Grammys.

But even Kate Upton's SI cover was airbrushed: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/kate-upton-sports-illustrated-cover-shoot-airbrushed-193910219.html;_ylt=AmkSZeAMBrH1glJB7iYgd9I5nYcB

Draft saved Draft deleted