1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adele Vogue cover "controversy"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/showbiz/2012/02/16/nr-adele-vogue-cover.cnn

So essentially the problem is that some fans are upset that Adele's photo, basically a glamour shot that we frequently see on magazine covers, makes her look thinner than she really is.

It seems that there are a couple issues here:

(1) Whether this contributes to a negative body image problem. The cover - she's in a corset to pull in some of her flab, apparently, and perhaps has had some of her extra weight airbrushed out of her face and/or body, as well - makes her look thinner than she is. That has brought out the, "Real women have curves" crowd. In fact, the Tweet or comment that CNN from an angry reader trots out that line verbatim. I'm personally of two minds here. I understand that there are problems with some of the unrealistic expectations that the fashion mags can have on women, particularly girls. On the other hand, I think that the, "Real women have curves" crowd can go too far sometimes, particularly in a nation with an obesity epidemic.

Now, Adele is not obese. Not even close. She could probably, at the very, very most, stand to use a few pounds, but that's it. For health reasons, I mean. That's between Adele and her doctor. But I recall a couple of years ago when we were bombarded with talk about how the actress who played Precious in the movie was "beautiful." It went way too far. Dangerously far, I think, in that we were beginning to exhalt a very unhealthy lifestyle.

The other issue I have with, "Real women have curves" is that it passive-aggressively denigrates smaller framed women, or those who work hard to keep themselves in shape. Why is it necessary to bring another group down in the process of lifting yourself up?

(2) The journalism issue. I understand that retouching glamour shots on magazine covers is mostly accepted now, but should it be? Recall how Time took a bath for its O.J. Simpson retouch a few years back. Obviously there were some aggravating circumstances there because of the race component. However, there certainly is a gender component at work here. I suspect that George Clooney isn't getting retouched as much as Adele or Jennifer Aniston or Shania Twain. Are we OK with the airbrushing that goes on? Is it OK for Playboy or Maxim, but not GQ? It is OK for QB, but not for Newsweek? Most troublesome: Is it OK for Emma Stone or Mila Kunis, but not for Ryan Gosling or Justin Timberlake?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's Vogue. There's no journalistic component.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm of the opinion, "Real women have curves." So, I wouldn't buy this mag for the simple fact she was prettier before.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Versatile summed it up: It's Vogue. They sell fantasy....$36,000 diamond encrusted shoes and feather tiaras ('Fashion Musts From Day to Night!) and Bolivian Midnight Mushroom Serum for regenerating virginity.

Does it look ridiculous, is it fraudulent? Of course. Is it news that Vogue (or countless other magazines and advertisers) photoshop images of women? Ha. Hahahahaha.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I detest the phrase "Real women have curves." It denigrates thin women and insinuates they "aren't real" just to make heavier women feel better. There has to be a better way to encourage women to have a positive self image without denigrating other women.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's also a rumor that some French magazine or something is releasing a sex tape featuring sweet, adorable Adele.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I love that you said this. No one would go up to a 'curvy' woman and say 'Oh my god, you look so heavy! Stop eating! Are you sick? Is everything okay?' But no one hesitates to say to a thin women, 'Oh my god, you are way too thin! Don't you eat? Are you sick? Is everything okay?'

'Real women' come in every possible shape and size.

8. Dick Whitman

My wife looked like a goddess at our wedding, and one of her friends came up to her and said, "I need to throw a roll at you!"

On her wedding day.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Maybe he cracked under the pressure of being obligated to attend another goofy societal function.

10. Dick Whitman

I was very proud of our wedding. Great mix of the traditional and the unorthodox. I didn't feel like we were going through the motions, but at the same time I think we kept things traditional enough to feel that cultural connection to all who had gone through the ceremony before us.

In some ways, I'm quite traditional. I feel strongly that men should wear suits to weddings and funerals, for example.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That response was no fun at all.

12. Dick Whitman

Also, it was a she.

Draft saved Draft deleted