1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction to texting: Annoying teenage habit, or just a teenage thing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:

1. It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's awesome.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, some people call me a teenager so I thought it was pertinent.

If the kids are texting as much as hoopswriter's cousin, then I would have a word with them. If it is just a little bit here and there then I don't have a problem.

I think the case could be made, poin, that cell phones in general are the problem. People being able to get ahold of people anytime anywhere is what is really at issue here.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I betcha I'm the oldest text messager here.

When HC's doing a show, I have to text her updates on Leafs games. :)

The only thing worse than people who text while you're having a conversation are people who text while driving. They should have their licenses suspended tout de suite.

Texting in and of itself isn't rude and it's obviously not a "teen" thing. If 30 and 40 year olds are doing it, it's yesterday's technology.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

What can I say? I'm an asshole. I complained to gym management last week about a guy talking on his cell while on the treadmill.

Fuck, people. There is a time and a place. A time and a fucking place.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My daughter (18) is a huge text messager. Probably sends and recieves 2-3 thousand a month. She is reasonably polite about it (meaning she may only need a gentle reminder that we are in the middle of dinner or something, rather than me taking the battery out her phone.) The thing that drives me over the edge though, is that she leaves her phone on and gets and takes messages all night long. All the kids seem to. They laugh about the silly messages they send when they are sleeping. I think it's really disturbing to her sleep patterns and have told her time and again that I wish she would stop. she says when she really wants to sleep she can ignore the tones when she gets a text from someone. Maybe she can.

I (44) and my wife (you're nuts if you think I'm telling ;) ) use text messages when we are not sure where the other is and don't want to disturb them. I know she always has her phone with her and if she's in a meeting or something she just wont respond...but at least I know she got my message.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Spnited and JR send text messages to each other.

[​IMG]

7. joe

joe Active Member

Inaccessible.
    I don't feel the need to be in constant, immediate contact with anyone, be it girlfriend, best friend, Mom, sister, whoever. Why would I want to be tethered to a fucking cell phone 24/7? I have one, but it stays at home unless I'm on a trip out of town. Hey, leave a message. I'll call you back.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Text messaging directly led to my old hockey team confiscating cell phones at road tournaments. Take a pillowcase and go door to door taking the things.

As an experiment, we left them on one night.

Some of them chirped all night long.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No I didn't.

The poll was about teens, and their texting habits. Not about adults and their texting habits. The poll question was "Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:". And when I said, "it's just what kids do" doesn't mean that kids/teens are the only ones doing it. Girls in middle school are supposedly giving blow jobs. It's just what kids are doing these days. It doesn't mean that teens are the only one giving blow jobs.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But I'm saying it's unfair to write it as if her rudeness is because of her age. Get it?

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm a big fan of the soritutes that go to the gym to talk with each other. They sit on the bike for 10 minutes, then giggle with each other for 20 minutes so the whole building can hear the conversation, then hop on the stair master for 10 minutes and giggle at each other some more. They end their highly-productive time at the gym by standing around for another 30 minutes talking to themselves so the entire complex can hear their conversation again.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's a very valid point. I had no problem saying it to my 15 y/o nephew this summer. When a girl did it this weekend, her dad was there the whole time. I could have said something, but a) I am not sure it even bothers my daughter; b) I am really only concerned about the manners of my kids; c) my kids would be embarrassed if I dressed down their friends over this.

I am not saying you are not right.

Draft saved Draft deleted