1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction to texting: Annoying teenage habit, or just a teenage thing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:

1. It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least this isn't a PhilaYank poll with 238 options.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I text fairly regularly...it's useful and fun, sometimes.

I find it pretty rude when someone's constantly texting when you're trying to have a conversation, though. I have a coworker who texts more or less constantly and I'm not the ony one who finds it annoying.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

IJAG...While driving? Really?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't care about adults and their texting. I didn't say that texting was exclusive to teenagers. So your habits as an old lady aren't pertinent to this poll or thread.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But you did say, poin, that her incessant texting during other activities was a teen activity. I'm telling you you're way off-base.

It wasn't an option.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

So how difficult is it to point out to these young people that what they're doing is rude? Tell them to put the fucking phone down for five minutes ... If we're worried about their bad manners, isn't that something we as adults should be teaching them?

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I'll admit I have done it once or twice. If it's going to be a short text and you are on a straight part of road, it's easier. No way I would consider doing it while driving on a back road that I don't know.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I rarely text, but one time I was sending a message, and someone asked me who I was texting, and I was able to say "idk, my bff jill" without being snarky or ironic about it. But I've probably sent like 100 texts this year, and it's always someone else starting the convo.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Hell, there was a loud talker on the bus yesterday. Everyone could hear his phone conversation ... I flipped out my phone, pretended to talk on it and then said very loudly, 'Yeah, I'm on the bus right now and I think it's rude to make other people listen to my conversation, so I'll call you when I get home.'

He hung up his phone, too.

If you find someone's behaviour rude, point it out. Don't just kvetch about it.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Sent 100 this year? Hell, that's two days worth for me.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Odds on Flash getting shanked on her next bus ride?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've texted while driving ... like Fly said, be smart about it: not in bumper-to-bumper traffic, not on unfamiliar roads and only for quick messages, and try to do it at a stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted