1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Add Omaha to the list

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CUinthenewsroom, Nov 13, 2008.

1. http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10485645

51 jobs eliminated in Omaha.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ah, more good news...

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Anyone in sports? Also, I hope Crutch is safe.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Two veteran sports copy editors on an already short handed staff. Of course, that seems to follow the industry trend.

They also whacked their online editorial staff to three, which makes a lot of sense in this day and age. Even more so when you look at the garbage that is their website.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Makes me wonder why a person I know was just hired there a few weeks ago if they are going to start axing jobs.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Came cheaper than them getting axed, maybe?

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's sad to see. Don't particularly like the management, but there's plenty of good people in the newsroom.

I wonder how much of this is a knock-on effect from its acquiring the Grand Island and York papers this year.

8. Omaha actually had a small round of layoffs (under 10? someone in the know can confirm) several months ago, but somehow kept it pretty quiet. Don't know if this one was large enough they felt compelled to self report, or if it was large enough to get reported elsewhere, so they had to confirm ...

9. Roscablo

I think they laid off five in that round and, I might be wrong, but I think it was limited to the newsroom. This one is company wide, with 15 or 16 in the newsroom going.

I agree about the talent in the newsroom and stupid management. This layoff more than many seems to be out of greed with no direction. And the publisher keeps blowing smoke up everyone's asses, this time trumping their reach with the print-online combination. What a joke.

10. My understanding was that wasn't really a set of layoffs, mostly just getting rid of employees they deemed to be overpriced. Most, if not all, of the positions had been filled in the past months.

11. Roscablo

So, you just whack a bunch of people -- including several in the online department -- and now you seek an online editor.

I wonder how that makes those fired feel? And would anyone in their right mind take this?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1001219

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's every laid-off man and woman for themselves, so, yeah, people in some sort of mind would take it. Sad, but true.

Draft saved Draft deleted