1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Add another to the list: Tim Sullivan in San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jun 2, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would wonder what level of public scorn would make those clowns change their ways, but since they come from private equity where they surround themselves with bootlickers and yes-men, they aren't likely to realize such scorn even exists.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Very well put!

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Perhaps I'm wrong, but among reasons for the First Amendment was to allow newspapers to become a watchdog for the public. It would never happen, but perhaps suspending a paper's First Amendment rights should be in order when its stated mission is that of civic cheerleader.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The paper must be worried about an age-discrimination lawsuit. And rightfully so.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

As much as I would like to see a happier ending, changing course would require "Papa Doug" and the rest of the brass to give a damn about what they're putting in the paper and/or serving the readers. They don't. They're also unlikely to admit they made a mistake.

I also think it's highly unlikely, given that Sullivan has talked to Romenesko and Voice of San Diego (at least), that he'd be welcomed back. Right or wrong, he aired some dirty laundry, and micromanagers like these hate that sort of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this "on vacation" is an HR shell game ... they have to get some of his time owed off the books before they can officially terminate him, or they're waiting for the end of the fiscal year, or something like that.

I have been following this story with interest, and I wish the best for Tim, but I don't think he'll be back at the U-T.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do these corporate idiots honestly think readers won't know about their ass-kissing change of policy? It's not 1955 out there anymore. There's other outlets who will do the critical reporting. And then when readers flock away, the brass won't blame the people responsible. And the people responsible are themselves.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These people don't care if the paper has any readers at all. The business plan is to carry the water of local business interests in the news hole in return for local business advertising. It's a straight-up bribe me transaction. And as long as local TV cannot cover anything but fires and shootings without reading the paper first, it'll have some effectiveness as a plan.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Love the local-TV threadjack. They also do some great pieces on restaurants that get really low grades from the health department!

9. SellOut

SellOut Member

Wait, didn't Tim already accept one of the open columnist jobs in Louisville that MizzouGrad offered?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, that made me laugh...

I'd love it if he wound up back at the U-T. Even if it happens, things will never be the same. He'd always be looking over his shoulder wondering what the publisher was pissed about this time, but I'm guessing that would be something he'd be willing to deal with to get his job back.

That said, guys like Sullivan don't stay unemployed for long.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To say nothing of their contributions to the Poin Files! But I digress ...

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Wow, he would look good in Louisville. Especially since they lost two writers, maybe they'll hire one.

Interesting that Randy Harvey just went to Houston. Otherwise Sullivan could have looked to Houston.

Of course, this is like fans telling GMs what trades to make ....

Draft saved Draft deleted