1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Add another to the list: Tim Sullivan in San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jun 2, 2012.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

http://nssafame.com/2012/06/02/sd-union-tribune-tells-columnist-tim-sullivan-we-dont-need-you-anymore/

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Seems there is more to this than just another layoff:

From Voice of San Diego:
    http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/morning-report/article_78890956-acbe-11e1-9117-0019bb2963f4.html

From San Diego Reader:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/news-ticker/2012/jun/02/another-honest-journalist-canned-by-ut/

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, not surprising ... the new owners seem to be taking a page from Santa Barbara's playbook, ie supressing all opposing voices (or is that Pravda?). My sympathies to the folks in San Diego who appreciate honest journalism.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Being listed immediately under the thread on Craig Stanke, I feared Sullivan, too, had passed away.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That would be an awful RIP thread title. 'Add another to the list...'

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ruthless and cruel, if the VOSD and SD Reader reports are true.

Hope Tim lands on his feet soon at a place that appreciates him.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ding! . . . unfortunately.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tim is a good guy. I'm sure he'll be back. I admire Kevin's candor. Hopefully, he too won't join Tim.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Jeez that sucks. Rockstar columnist and a very good guy.

10. writingump

writingump Member

Sullivan was the best columnist they had. That's a big loss for the UT.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The best thing about Tim is he not only was a thoughtful and witty columnist but also a great reporter. When he was in Cincinnati, he was probably the best reporter on the staff in addition to being the columnist. That this newspaper is throwing him out says way more about it than him.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That San Diego Reader article has a very interesting and bizarre comment on it. Looks like it's signed by someone named Don Bauder, who, if the string is true, has some connection to the paper as well.

=======

WAS IT A HOAX? OR NOT? UT staff members today (June 2) got a purported message from John Lynch, chief executive officer. Said the alleged note, "Writers will be required to write an essay about why a new Chargers Stadium would invigorate the community and improve America's Finest City. We will select seven winners from the submissions and print one each day for a week on the front page of the newspaper." And authors would read them on the UT's new TV show.

Then, staffers apparently got a message from Jeff Light, editor. It said, "This message was not sent by John [Lynch]. It is not the kind of thing we would ever do at the U-T. I.T. is trying to track the source now. Please let everyone know that this is just a mean prank intended to embarrass the company."

Of course, whether or not the letter was a hoax, the company is doing quite a job embarrassing itself. Best, Don Bauder

Draft saved Draft deleted