1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Where I live, it’s about 15 cases per 1,000 so not bad.

Publix is the gold standard.
    Wal Mart neighborhood market is right with them.

Food Lion just doesn’t give a fuck. Seriously. It close to a wealthy subdivision and the people just don’t care. I guess it’s odd social acceptance. FL is where COVID truthers gather and shop.

Home Depot is over half the customers now, but only about half the staff.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's so different here. At the Stop 'n Shop here, they won't let you in without a mask.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Liquor store I went to yesterday was limiting the number of people allowed inside. You waited outside, 6 feet apart, and you had to have a mask on while in line as well as inside the store.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fanboi but the spate of flyovers this week is a ridiculous & pointless waste of taxpayers' dollars...to the tune of (according to the $25,500 per hour F-16 figure) of more than $150,000 per hour per squad...why not send one plane over the hospital and send the five other pilots TO the hospital with lunch and a six-figure check to the hospital worker's fund?

Not to mention, they nearly crashed over Newport Beach yesterday.

The Thunderbirds Had A Little Scare Over SoCal With One F-16 Executing An Emergency Breakaway

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not sure what the case is for all these flyovers by regular Navy and Air Force pilots but Air Force and Navy Reserve pilots need a certain amount of flying hours to maintain their training. Many flyovers involve pilots on training runs.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Birmingham and somewhere in Hawaii got a flyover by a single Air Force tanker. I saw the one in Hawaii in a tweet.

The tanker that flew the one here is based in B'ham.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A B-52 flyover would be cool. Bit of a smoke show, but what the hell!

[​IMG]

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We got one by two C-130s.

Our airport has a military-grade runway and there’s an military training center 25 miles away, so we have them flying around town a couple of times per week doing touch-and-goes or dropping paratroopers for simulated missions. Most people didn’t even realize it was a tribute.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Met someone today who is having trouble adapting.

Went to get a haircut today as that is allowed as of yesterday. All the social distancing measures are in place — six feet away (except when getting your hair cut, of course), wait outside if it’s not yet your turn, masks mandated by the state, etc. We all know the drill by now.

Just as I finished, The Maskless Man came in. Not sure if he had made an appointment — wait times were about an hour and I had checked in online. Anyway, no mask. It’s in all the articles and news reports, masks required. Big sign on the door, hard to miss.

Maskless Man is at the check-in desk as I prepare to pay. Every stall is filled with a barber and a customer. Everyone was in good spirits while I was there. I wonder if I should even approach to pay while he is up there. Someone tells Maskless Man that masks were required.

His one word response: “Constitution.”

Really? The people tell him, sorry, Governor’s orders, etc. He just stands there. They tell him go to the CVS next door, they sell them cheap. He just stands there. Everyone basically ignores him after that.

His next great argument, which I heard as I left, was, “I’m not suffocating for a haircut.”

I am way more concerned about running into these people while I am out than contracting Coronavirus.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That person isn't having trouble adapting. That person is a flaming asshole.

I get it... different areas/circumstances require different things. Rules in rural areas have different guidelines than NYC or LA. But Maskless Man in this situation was just going out looking to have a confrontation.

I haven't run across many of those types yet. But honestly, I can't fathom why people thinks taking a bit of an extra precaution right now is a big deal.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I wanted to ask which amendment gave him the right to a haircut. I don’t think haircuts were even invented when the U.S. was founded.

The Fifth Amendment is probably the only one the guy was close to using today.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Assholes think they run the world now because their President is one. If the shop had just called the cops and reported a disturbance, this fuck would've fled before they finished the call.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted