1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Advocate in Baton Rouge is adapting by "temporarily furloughing" about 40 people, most of them in sports and features.

A challenging time for The Advocate, and for Louisiana

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A smart company would figure out a way to tie in their newspaper delivery routes with delivery of non-food items from preferred advertisers. Order by Noon and have it on your doorstep the next morning.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think there are algorithms that decide if you discuss politics to any extent, you're interested in all politics. I get shit in my email that's just incredible: I'm supposed to send fifty bucks to save the hopes and dreams of the president.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I voted for a Democrat in a senate election last year, for the first time I can remember. Now I'm getting fundraising emails from Stacey Abrams.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

But I didn't have anything to do the next five minutes, either. My daughter is making sure I stay on house arrest.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is SOP for candidates to blanket possible contributors from other states as well as their own. Did you have any communication with the candidate you voted for, email or a phone call or anything, even if they just canvassed you and you said you were going to vote for the person? If so, that information is shared with the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee and you're on the list. Republican congressional campaign committees work the same way. Jaime Harrison, the guy running against Lindsay Graham, went so far as to invite to a Boston "reception," the kind where you'd better bring your checkbook. It's just the business and I don't resent it.Takes no energy to ignore those messages.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Moscow is beautiful this time of year.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No Covid, either, and I hear plane tickets are on sale.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They come to my work e-mail, so I might have clicked on his website or sent an email for some work-related reason. I figured the address was shared with the DNC.
    I've never donated to any candidates. I'm quasi-related to my congressman and even cringed a little when we put a sign in the yard. They don't need my help other than giving them a vote.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Most folks agree with you. But political campaigns take money, and while the tactics I described are aggressive, they are done by everyone and in my mind are not unethical. I cannot bear to watch the ads where the ASPCA is showing me all those mistreated animals on TV every night but I know why they do it. Good people and causes need money more than everyone else, on average.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also e-mail lists get passed around like - well, I'm not going to say. A gun magazine subscription will get you on a GOP list. A Sierra Club contribution could put you on a Dem list.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I don't think the e-mails are unethical. I mostly think it's funny that I've pretty much been a lifelong Republican voter, and then all of the Democrats seem to have found me the second I voted for one of their number.

Draft saved Draft deleted