1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It seems like a cosmic event coincides with near the end of every decade and the start of a new one. Like the moon landing, or the Iran hostage release, or Desert Storm, or 9/11, or this one.

(JFK basically ended the 50s, which continued well into the 60s culturally.)

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean you can change your tinder profile to say you have TP, but still... not like I'm that worried about it, but at the same time, at least I was having some conversations with folks before this shit all hit

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

5. Neutral Corner

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Little Women is great for sports fans. You pick one of the girls to root for, one to hate and hope your "team" wins.

Michael_ Gee and OscarMadison like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio governor has proposed June 2 as the new primary date which fits in with this “safe to come out” timeline.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Librarything is now free for everyone. It has some interesting features, including legacy libraries of authors, athletes, and other esteemed folk.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We have to come out slowly in waves.

First allow 10-50 in restaurants for a week.
    By then, school will be nuked for the summer.
    Then allow 50-100 for a week.
    Then allow businesses to open up for normal use. Allow sports to be played without a crowd.
    I would also make it a crime to knowingly take the virus out into public before we open the doors back up.
    Full go will be reopening schools in August.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I can see this.

Many states have already said no more in-session school this academic calendar. Ohio has implied it.

If June 2 is Ohio’s primary, you’d figure that is something everyone could participate in. So I could see slowly reopening things throughout May. Memorial Day could be a true national holiday, not just the start of a new summer but of a return to normalcy.

Of course, Mnuchin out there warning of a 10-12-week shutdown, so who knows.

11. Neutral Corner

A lot will depend on how severe April is. June sounds reasonable from here, but given how much change we have seen in one week units I'd be scared to predict it. I guess someone has to, but I'm glad it isn't me.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the June estimates are, well, not exactly wishful thinking, but an estimate of how long the public can take the severe and bound to get more severe measures in place to enforce social distancing without rebelling in large numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted