1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I did our week's grocery shopping during senior hour this morning. Hit 2 stores, very few people in both, and got what we need for the week. If we need anything else, we'll have it delivered. The one place with lots of cars, as it is every time I've gone past it since the stay-at-home order began, is Lowe's. Always an almost-full parking lot every time.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll bet a lot of it is garden center traffic. That time of year.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Shit man, I'm gonna plant some stuff this year just because. I'm the type that absolutely *could* sit on the couch for 12 hours straight... except that doing so tends to make my fiancee pissed off, and think I'm not doing anything, and then she finds something for me to do, haha. (In her defense - I've only been partially employed for about four of the 10 months we've been in Texas, and unemployed the other six, so me on the couch has been a common sight, pre-quarantine.) So, going out and doing the lawn, or gardening, that kind of resets the clock for me.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think sometimes the toughest thing in life is realizing when you are in "a rut" and need to break out of it and try new things and make some drastic adjustments. That's one of the things I've found most valuable about this time. It's forced the adjustments on to us - willing or not.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've been planting for a week. A good release from the monotony, I'd recommend it to all.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Listen to the experts?

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have an antique chart of the Cape Fear and Onslow Bay, a fish, a brass ships bell, and a Buffett poster (unfortunately, not autographed).
    The very first day of this craziness, one of my kids said my house looks exactly like he figured it would.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The closest Lowe's to here is a pale shadow of Home Depot in terms of staff and stock. And Home Depot staff is a shadow of what it used to be.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

He told that story last night on Seth Myers’ show.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We were talking about being emotional earlier. I just saw the first picture of my niece, who was born this morning. She is my younger brother's second child. My sister-in-law is fine. The little one is expected to be fine, too, though she is in the NICU today. I don't know all the details yet, but my brother seems okay, so hopefully that is a good sign.

I'm currently stuffing down my own anxiety over hearing about the NICU and focusing on being happy for my brother and how much I need the current insanity to be over so I can go see them and meet my new niece. I figure this is my opportunity to bond with their older daughter, who is two and a little standoffish to pretty much all men except her father. I figure with a baby around stealing some attention, she may warm up a little more to Uncle OOP. :)

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Putting Tracy Morgan on a live mic is basically begging for trouble. Like, I'm not sure if him or Norm Macdonald would be more destructive, but they're neck and neck.

Draft saved Draft deleted