1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm expecting 11 10-year-olds back for my 8-10 year old football team this fall. Signups are usually starting right about now, running through May.

Man I'd hate to lose this season!!!

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Will we? Do you have some facts to back this up, or is it your blind optimism at work?

We don’t know dick about what is going to happen next week, let alone this fall. I welcome the reopening of society, but there’s simply no way to know how — or when — that is going to play out.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Either we go outside or go 10 trillion in debt with a postponed presidential election.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

School starts in late August here. The election is in November. They are not linked. A lot can happen in two months.

6. Inky_Wretch

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It must be comforting to live in your binary world.

JC likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Then what’s your call? Stay inside until Christmas?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's too early to make that call. I think schools going month-to-month is the right decision at this point. There is just too much we don't know right now to predict what is going to be the right decision in August or September.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The real mystery will be what is acceptable loss to going outside?

I would love for this to go to 0 cases, but I don’t see that happening until we have a vaccine. Is 100 new cases a day in Iowa with a 5% fatality rate ok?

It might be morbid, but someone will be making that call or at least working the numbers behind the scene.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Think way back to March 1, 2020, at that time would you have said "you know when its April 6, 2020, one month later with 300,000 KNOWN infected and over 1,000 KNOWN DEAD was cool? Even though none of the 8.5B people know what COVID-19 does or how it does it, 'Just carry on with life as normal?'"

Yeah, that's why we risk 10 Trillion in debt, because there's a damn good chance that you or someone you love will die from it.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted