1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Don't let Frederick see this, he will be pissed.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I would say the trend of social isolation has been building for a long time. The coronavirus pandemic has greatly accelerated it.

maumann likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy next door and I have become like Tim Allen and the guy over the fence; nice conversation, barely see him.

misterbc, OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The economic fallout is what worries me the most. Not personally -- I think (?) I'll be OK. But I have so many friends who work in the service industry ... and I'd be out hanging with friends and drinking and tipping well tonight while watching the NCAA tournament. Instead, I'm sitting at home drinking a stash of booze and messaging friends while watching a movie.

And for us single folk, when's the next time we're going to be able to go out, engage a person of the opposite sex and have any hope of physical contact? Kind of fucked up to think about that.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am glad my father didn't live to see this - a society that is now so literally toxic it's deadly just to be out in it.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think tonight is the first time it's sort of starting to hit me. My wife's been working from home for the last 10 days. I've still been going to the office, but fewer and fewer people are going in and most are opting to work from home. I'm set up to do that now, and probably will next week.

The commute is eerie. Public transit nearly empty. Everything's closed. Sidewalks wide-open. Has that "I Am Legend" feeling.

The sense of not knowing when it will end is the worst.

I hope it's not as long as predicted and not as bad as predicted. But that's nothing more than hope that goes against what the numbers are saying.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is it. There's an end date to a terrible blizzard or a hurricane. We have no idea when life is going to return to normal. Whatever that may be.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They don't have a dating site for that already?

"You show me your COVID-19 results and I'll show you mine."

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We had a block party this afternoon. We all kept our distance - even the kids while they played - but we sat and talked and laughed. It felt so good that I damn near teared up as we walked in our front door. (That might have been the beers though.)

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I did the math and it will likely be another 5 to 6 weeks before the curve tops out, simply because the virus will run out of people to infect. Then it’ll be another 3 weeks for the deaths to run their course, because that’s a lagging statistic.

Maybe by the first of June we can start to peek out of the bunker — and that’s without any flattening. With it, this thing could easily stretch into early fall.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I had my first, "Oh shit. I'm doomed." thoughts a few days ago.

On the lighter side, I've always wanted to make my own tofu and tempeh. The stuff for that is coming next week. I am also going to do some internet radio stuff. Not going down without having a good time first.

Draft saved Draft deleted