1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've noticed this a bunch at the grocery stores - Basically, "ethnic" versions of a food is often available. Can't find red lentils or black beans in the beans aisle? Try the Indian / Thai aisle, or the "International Foods" aisle. Plenty of Goya brand stuff at my local store, but not store brand, because they're in two separate spots. (Likewise, the end caps often have "hot" items now, like paper towels.)

goalmouth likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I spit in my goggles before diving. Doubt that works for glasses. :D

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lots of good stuff in the ethnic sections. Sometimes you can find big jars of spices there cheaper than the spice aisle as well.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Sirius XM has made their service free from now until May 15th, all channels.

Huggy, Twirling Time and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious about how many people are truly concerned about the virus. When it started, I considered myself pretty healthy and outside the high risk group - but reading about some of those who died, and noticing their ages are more frequently venturing south of 70 does make me pause. With every sneeze and every cough, it does kind of make you a bit paranoid.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

The elderly thing was always a bit overblown, mostly because their mortality percentage takes a big spike. It's always been around 50% over 65 and 50% under, but substantially more of the older patients (and otherwise health impaired, like high blood pressure and immune impaired) die if they catch it. That never meant that younger people didn't die, but a lot of them read it that way.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My third granddaughter is coming into this fucked up world today. I'm pacing at home instead of at the hospital. She'll be several months old before I actually get to meet her.
    So while I was adapting fine, now I'm not.

8. Neutral Corner

Umm... congrats? She'll be fine. Babies are amazingly tough.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. She will be fine indeed. She'll have a great set of parents and a doting big sister and a goofy Lab who will love and protect her.
    Me? I'll be going apeshit until I can actually meet her.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hang in there.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

of all the things I’ve read in the last few weeks that have caused me to have emotional reactions, this one is right up there. Hang in there, @Moderator1 , and make the most use of technology that you can to see her.

playthrough and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't really get the gist of Tiger's point.

I think a lot of people --- in particular the "cure worse than the disease?" crowd --- knew exactly how much hurt this was going to do and asked an honest question: Is it worth it? The answer was, "Of course it is you asshole, and stay the fuck home!"

It's mighty easy to take that view when you have a secure job and a home office with all the creature comforts. I don't begrudge an out-of-work person who wants to get back to work, virus be damned, and sees a bleak, poverty-ravaged post-virus future if he can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted