1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, I’m an employment lawyer. Based upon the million questions that I’ve been fielding, it is going to get really ugly out there in terms of layoffs. State governments are pushing through assistance programs for people laid off and the new law from Congress does provide both paid emergency sick leave and paid FMLA, including child care if your kid is out of school.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

WeWork - I think trying to be "revolutionary" was what killed it. Having an a-hole running it as well. Suprised it even got into the VC for a pitch meeting.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Same here, man. (Minus the phone interviews)

Neutral Corner and MileHigh like this.
  4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Guess that makes his daughter Kernel Sanders.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The in-person interview felt like it was the make-sure-he's-not-a-serial-killer step. Alas ...

Now I'm having to deal with my brother-in-law's and sister's company (construction; heating and plumbing) that we sold after their deaths and them trying to stay afloat and them reaching out to us to try to mitigate things as much as possible and I'm dealing with a**hole beneficiaries who want contracts upheld. Ummmm .... if they go under, you're not getting what you felt you were entitled to.

I'm ready to check out.*

*Not really. But I'm done with all of this. All of it.

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

My brother is convinced Mike Huckabee is a performance actor designed by liberals to make southern conservatives look like trash.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife works a graveyard shift (starting at midnight or 3 a.m.) at her store. I asked her if there is any extra cleaning going on. "No,'' she said. Maybe they're doing it from 9 p.m.-midnight, when nobody is there.

The good news: 90 percent of her shift is before customers arrive.
    The bad news: She stays and works off the clock with customers there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tonight my son is proposing to his girlfriend. They've lived together for over a year, and have begun wedding planning, so an acceptance is expected. He was going to have a surprise party of their friends after he proposed at some romantic spot, which are plentiful in New York City, to celebrate the occasion but of course both of those are out now. So he'll propose in their Brooklyn apartment. He was bummed about the party but then came up with the idea of having the guests (and his parents!) video congratulatory toasts on their phones and email them to him to create a virtual party for her.

OscarMadison and MileHigh like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine how tough it is for families who suffer the loss of a loved one during this - COVID related or not. One of the things that really helps the bereavment process is being able to focus on pulling together services, gives you something to do, mourning with friends and family at services, some you haven't seen for a while really does provide a bright spot in a sad time. With most services postponed due to the ban on gatherings and older folks especially warned off them - I can't even imagine.

Dyno and OscarMadison like this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Stay safe, Mrs. BTE

Slainte to Gee fils! Enjoy the gathering even if it is virtual due to the plague.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’ll change everything for a long time. First, the sheer sorrow from all the people we lose, and there will be many. Next, the economic fallout. Worst, the fear and uncertainty of this new age. All the negative energy that has been generated our culture and our social media for years and years and years...will now have a kind of justification. It’s going to leave many of us hollowed out and hopeless. I pray my church and any church - or whatever people turn to - is strong.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted