1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Bud_Bundy and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's a well-written piece and anyone related to a teacher, ex-teacher or future teacher knows full well how much is expected for how little is received, both monetarily and emotionally. The kids get it. The people who make the decisions at the highest level, don't have a clue and honestly don't care.

The system was broken before COVID. This has only proven how much more broken it can get.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I can speak from two weeks of experience with a 9-year-old grandson. In this city, all learning is remote so far. His mom works from home and is on the phone constantly. The kid is on the Autism spectrum and needs supervision, so his grandmother and I have volunteered to pick him up every day and bring him to our house for his Zoom school. He lives in a city that doesn't issue laptops to everyone, so his teacher spent the first week trying to get the class organized while dealing with login problems with school Chromebooks, personal Chromebooks, PCs, tablets, at least one kid on a smart phone and God knows what else. I've already told her she is one of the most patient people I've every been around.

She constantly has to remind kids to pay attention ... told one kid to stop playing with his pet dog the other day. Some kids show up late, others get called out for trying to chat with each other on Zoom. When she askes some kids to answer a question by unmuting themselves, you hear all sorts of noise in the background.

Things are smoother now, but not great. His day is structured in 30-minute blocks, she teaches some of the blocks and others are independent work. We have to stay on him to get his work done. For now he has an hour of independent work in the early afternoon and I find I have to monitor what she tells them they have to do during that time, so we can check that he is getting everything done.

He didn't get everything done today and pitched a fit after she dismissed the class for the day when we told him he had to finish his work before he could shut down. Damn near a meltdown.

The city says the might start bringing the lower grades back in sometime in October if the infection rate continues to decline. However, when his mom had to make her choice midway through the summer, she rightly picked the remote option for the first semester, which means he will physically not be in school until at least the first of February.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This sounds rough, man. You and your wife are heroes, both for your daughter and your grandkid. Good on you.

Michael_ Gee, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I second that. Hang in there.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This area is slippin'. Too many people not wearing masks ... one young father wheeling around his little one and a couple of people in a store that explicitly posts that masks are required.

I know this is going on back home ... calls and texts verified what I strongly suspected was the general behavior. But too many in this area act as if the pandemic is in the rearview mirror. Think again ... and wear a f_cking mask.

garrow and maumann like this.
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

good on you, bud. That’s Gods work

maumann likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’ve been wondering about this question, but haven’t been sure where to look. How does Zoom schooling compare to home schooling in terms of effectiveness?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Pics or GTFO!

Draft saved Draft deleted