1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Local high school shutting down tomorrow for site-wide sanitizing after a rash of student cases.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mngwa likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jimmy’s video vault is going back on tour tonight.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

If you see a long-haired 20-something in a tie dye when they show the 1995 Memphis show, it may be me.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just one?

6. Inky_Wretch

Not a lot of tie dye at that show. And I left my grass skirt at home.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Got to go to the gym for the first time in six months. Some concern but overall happy, as I’ve gained the COVID 15, at least.

Felt comfortable. Air filters have to pass inspection. Big space, far apart.

Mask required at all times. That’s ... gonna take some getting used to. Running, kinda hard to take a deeeep breath. But I’m also out of shape. My “gym” mask will probably have to change. I sweat. A lot. So after awhile the mask got so wet I was kind of water boarding myself.

Other issue was my breath funneling straight up into my eyeballs.

First day. Trial and error. It’ll get better/I’ll get used to it.

Overall felt safe and happy to get back at it.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Local college kid is sent home, mom goes to work, now a dozen and a half teachers are out the first 1/2 month of school.

Treat it, cure it, live with it or all three; what’s happening now can’t go on for 2-3 more years.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've been going since we went to Phase 3 here with little in the way of problems. I don't wear my mask at all times but I keep it handy to wear when walking between stations and around the gym. Their investment in the AirPHX ventilation system has afforded a lot of peace of mind. It's rarely very crowded and with working from home, I can easily avoid the really busy hours (6-7 a.m., 5-7 p.m.).

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I went and played golf with the senior men today for the first time since we got back to Georgia.

Wore the mask in the pro shop but felt safe enough to play without it. Especially since summer decided it doesn't want to relinquish its hold on September just yet, plus we were behind eight foursomes of young guys from Chicago (playing all the courses in the area on vacation) who booked all the GolfNow times that usually go unused. So we didn't finish until 1:30 p.m. when it was 85 (feels like 96).

And that was about my score as well. Drove the ball well, hit greens in reg for the most part. But, as expected, the short game was lousy. With the exception of the par-5 479-yard ninth, which is reachable in 2 from the whites only with two really good shots. Hadn't done it until today, when I smoked a 3-wood 200 yards between the traps and onto the green. Missed the eagle putt by six inches, but enjoyed a tap-in birdie. Woot.

Now I'll wait five days and see if I get sick.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s a mask-at-all times rule at my place. I bought a box of the disposable surgical ones. Much better for cardio than the other ones I have.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Going back to my gym Monday for the first time, the re-opening was 9/1. Curious to see how things work, I'm a little nervous about it but I'll give it a try.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted