1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We're planning a social distancing happy hour for tomorrow. The next door neighbor went out and measured out 6-foot intervals on the street (we rarely get traffic) and marked it with sidewalk chalk. We did it last weekend too. I highly recommend it (if you like your neighbors).

OscarMadison, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've had one friend over in the last two weeks ... the same friend. Plenty of room on my porch for us to sit apart but we try to get together for happy hours and dial friends in through FB messenger and Instagram chat. It's helped alleviate the boredom a bit. I have a pretty big backyard and I'm open to inviting a few others over from our small regular HH crowd. BYOC (chair) and BYOB, minimal contact with any surfaces. I think that's probably safe.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is definitely the hardest thing about it....the uncertainty

Cosmo, I never thought I'd be a meditation guy. I thought it was stupid, dumb-ass, hipster-doofus garbage. Now, I do it 10 minutes per day. I find it makes a huge difference in my qualify of life and mental health.

Also, when this started, people told me, "We won't really know where we are until late-April, early May." So I've compartmentalized it that way. It's a marathon until then. If there's no real clarity at that time, I will re-adjust. But some people have told me that helps -- give yourself "some" certainty of timeline.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When I hit what would be the end of the work day on Friday, I texted my co-workers and said, "That's it. End of the week. I'm not doing anything else until Monday morning."

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The second night of the Sweet 16 would have been tonight
    I didn’t miss it much last weekend
    Found other things to do
    This weekend will be tougher
    I’m figuring it will be mid May, which would be two months, but nobody really knows

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Four of my neighbor couples and my wife and I all met in the street of our cul de sac last Saturday when it was nice and warm. Brought up chairs and beers/wine, sat six feet apart, and had a party. We normally have 4-5 get-togethers on our street during the year so it was nice to catch up from the Christmas gathering.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This. My boss unfortunately kept texting and working through Saturday last week and it drove me insane. When you're working from home constantly, you HAVE to have boundaries. There has to be a shutoff. I'm killing all notifications starting in about 20 minutes here until 7:30 a.m. Monday.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Pre-COVID, I normally worked a day or two a week from home since all I need is a laptop, a phone and internet for the most part. I have already saved a ton of money in gas, but cabin fever is the worst.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel this acutely. The novelty and convenience wore out in a hurry.

It's made much worse by the fact that the remote connection to my work computer gets worse each day, and that's the only way I can do my job.

I'm back in the newsroom next week. Looking forward to it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good analogy about it being a marathon. This whole thing, I've been telling family and friends to chop it up into different targets and then let's see where things are at then. April 1. Easter. Etc.

It's a struggle, no doubt, especially if you're not working (like me). Hang in there everyone.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Run the mile you're in. Don't worry about mile 12 until you finish mile 11.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

But miles 23-26 are the toughest.

Draft saved Draft deleted