1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adams' property Janesville (Wis.) Gazette going to five days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by baddecision, May 6, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I am quite familiar with Horizon. They are basically a side hustle of a few ex-American Publishing suits out of Chicago. Frankly I had no idea they were still hustling. It's been 20 years.

ADD: Their Marion, Ill. location provided me with a lucrative base to calculate my IRS mileage for a couple of years.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All good. But anyone trying to paint these folks as any less a slash-and-burn operation than the others is kidding themselves.

I'm glad you're still buying their crap, but IMO it still stinks like a neglected cow pasture and I'll put my optimism in better places. You might see them as rescuing things, but down where I was, they did nothing but destroy, cut and burn.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Find me a sportswriter who isn't doing that. News writers, sure. Desk individuals sure. Sports writers. LOL. They work unpaid overtime.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Can you provide some specifics? I only got into this thread because I know quite a bit about the Janesville Gazette and could offer some insight into Adams' behavior so far in southern Wisconsin. This family didn't amass a billion $ by emulating Mother Teresa (not that Mother Theresa didn't have her dark side).

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Then they should display the dignity and self-respect of the news writers.

If you allow yourself to be treated like a clown, you will be treated like a clown.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stop. The noise has become so white that it's just annoying by now.

Some sportswriters record all hours. Some deskers work paid overtime. Results vary depending on company situation, company needs and quirks and idiosyncrasies of editors and such above them.

But enough. It's incredibly tired. We heard you on this same scree 200 times ago.

2muchcoffeeman and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. Fredrick

OK.

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Used to do a ton of freelancing for them. They gave me a lot of work in 2008-12ish when I was bouncing between layoffs and looking for any work I could.

Good publication.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Here’s one who isn’t doing that.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

God, no kidding.

I've never felt I work more hours than any other editor or reporter at my shop. We all work hard.

I think sports writers sometimes get the perception that because they work a lot of nights and weekends when everyone else is gone, at least traditionally, that means they're always working more. Well, when I'm playing golf on Mondays from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., what do you think everyone else there is doing?

As you said, it all depends on needs and circumstances. During HS football season, Thursdays-Sundays are just insane. Working all the time. During the summer? I clear a lot of space those days and make time for all sorts of recreation and family stuff.

It's give and take.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

You don't work 70 and get paid for 40 every week of your life? Are you sure you are a sportswriter?

12. Fredrick

Is cutting reporters to 30 hours a week even legal? So they have only a few fulltime employees? 30 hours is part time.

Draft saved Draft deleted