1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam LaRoche and his son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm with Williams. He didn't say the kid couldn't be there. He said the kid couldn't be there every single day. I think that's totally reasonable.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Williams is reasonable. Any chance he's speaking for players who aren't comfortable addressing an awkward topic?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think there's a good chance of that.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Seemed a little harsh initially, but after further review, it's a little odd that a kid that age would want to be with his dad at work every day. I can understand LaRoche feeling hurt, but as mentioned above, he didn't ban the kid.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This really makes no sense. He goes from bringing home $13 mil a year for his family and his kid hanging out during home games once school is out to $0 this year and no games for the kid to hang out.
    I think we've all been there to some extent. It's one thing to have a kid around the workplace to distract us from the usual grind and it keeps the bosses from being jerks to the entire newsroom, but there comes a point when you realize it's just because the person doesn't want to pay childcare. Surely Laroche can afford childcare.

If this ends up about being something else, I wouldn't be surprised.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's a certainty.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This was mentioned on the baseball thread, but the kid doesn't go to school? I assume they say he's home schooled, but really? I'm with Williams - and LaRoche's teammates, who he's most certainly speaking for. There's no need for the kid to be there every single day.

When I was a teenager, I had adult friends. Like in their 30s and 40s. They were people my parents knew, but they were my friends. I guess I was sort of like the mascot of the group. I spent a lot of time with them and I saw and heard a lot of stuff I shouldn't have, and these were regular people, not professional athletes.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a quote in one of the zillion of Drake stories from his DC days about "not really big on school." I found that interesting and wondered exactly what they were doing. I'm not guessing there's a lot of school there.

If his teammates are indeed behind this and didn't have the sack to tell him themselves, they're sorry gutless jackholes. Didn't Ventura come out and say he didn't have a problem with it?

Curious to see where this goes. As someone, I think Reacher, noted, he's leaving a lot of money on the table but likely doesn't "need" it. He's tight with Willie of Duck Dynasty and a partner in the Buck Commander business. He has other things going on, too.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He went too far with it, Moddy. I mean, I understand what he's saying. But he's essentially snorting at the idea of a guy who's away from home for eight months and wants to spend quality time with his teen-age son.

There aren't enough parents like LaRoche who care about that, and Haugh saying that the reason isn't valid, or that this wasn't the real reason for his retirement ... well, he's getting off on playing the ugly American.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hokie_pokie and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There aren't enough parents who want to be around their kids? In 2016.

Goodness. Colleges have to chase them off.

Draft saved Draft deleted