1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Greenberg to get second plate appearance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do the Marlins have 40 guys on their 40-man right now? Some teams leave a spot or two open for emergencies.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the contract status of everyone on the Marlins' 40-man roster is, but I'm guessing not all 40 will be with the club next season. And they pretty much know which ones aren't coming back. There's one day left in the season after this guy gets his moment. Somehow, I think they'll find a way to make it work.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, fair enough. I stand corrected: Someone, likely someone with minor league options or possibly an injured player, is going to get dropped from the 40-man roster for one day for Adam Greenberg to get his at-bat.

What a travesty.

I feel bad for Zack Cox and/or Arquimedes Caminero and/or Nick Green.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

And that someone would have been dropped days after the World Series anyway, since pretty much every team will shuffle players on and off between seasons based on Rule 5 and minor league free agency.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

My understanding, per what I read on Yahoo so take it with however much salt you want, is that Selig granted an exception to the 40-man rule so that Greenberg could be offered a one-day contract (which usually does not exist in MLB) without ramification. Who knows if that's the truth, but that's what they wrote.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I also read that. Assuming it wasn't fabricated, the 40-man thing is a non-issue.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So all we're left with is that he whined until he got something out of pity that he couldn't earn.

I wonder if his mom used to call the local paper with exclusive inside information on how the varsity coach was holding players back and playing favorites.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, that's now two "I read it on Yahoo; buyer beware" posts this morning from two different posters.

Are y'all reading a different Yahoo site than I am? The site I visit — the real site, I mean; not the stupid affiliated "Contributor Network" — is arguably the best and most credible sports reporting and analysis site on the Interwebs.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Any more rule changes coming down the MLB pipe this month?

Still three strikes for an out? Ninety feet between bases? They gonna keep wearing hats?

10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

There was no exception to the 40-man roster rule to allow Adam Greenberg to play. Before the game, the Marlins transferred 2B Nick Green from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL to create the roster space for the signing of Adam Greenberg.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=mia#month=10&year=2012&team_id=146

Adam Greenberg pinch hit in the 6th inning and struck out on 3 pitches from R. A. Dickey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/adam-greenberg-strikes-one-bat-005416700--mlb.html

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Turns out his lifelong dream was to get a hit in the majors, so now he's going to start another whiny campaign until someone pities him enough to give him that.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nothing groundbreaking here. NASCAR changes its rules all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted