1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Greenberg to get second plate appearance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hit in the head in his only MLB pitch seven years ago.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8430448/7-years-later-miami-marlins-give-adam-greenberg-another-bat

Is it a publicity stunt? I suppose. Is it nonetheless a heart-warming publicity stunt? I think so. Although it has an independent league vibe to it.

I can't decide whether to be cynical or just go with it.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's no other point to watch a Marlins game, so why not?

I don't know where or when the game became too sacred to have some fun. But people used to like Bill Veeck quite a bit for stuff like this.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, the possibility of a Guillen-Bell mound meeting is always there.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a good point. I hope Ozzie manages another 30 years and never makes the playoffs, because the September airing of grievances is awesome. It's early Festivus!

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The months long campaigning for this opportunity didn't strike me as very professional but whatever.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

It is remarkable to think of the odds of a one-pitch major league career ending due to injury, especially this type of injury. It seems likely to be the only time such a thing has happened.

I do think it would be great if he got a hit, publicity stunt that it is. Why not start the guy and really have some fun with it? If you're going to do something anti-competitive, at least make a day out of it.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I never even got an MLB plate appearance. I wonder if the Marlins will give it to me.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Do you have a several hundred million dollars to you'd be willing to part with, or an original Picasso lying around your house that you don't need? Because hell, you can coach the team tonight and play centerfield if you're willing to give those to Jeffery Loria.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just get someone sympathetic to your cause to start a campaign and get a little online petition going.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/filmmaker-creates-campaign-to-give-adam-greenberg-one-at-bat/

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't see a problem with it. After all, the NFL just had a bunch of fans referee for three weeks.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Really rubs me the wrong way. He was a minor league scrub without much future who got a call-up when the Cubs sent down some good players in a fit of pique. His destined three-week cup of coffee got cut short in an interesting way, and he went on to float in the minors for a bit before washing out.

What makes him so special compared to the hundreds of guys who wash out in the minors every year without ever seeing the inside of a MLB clubhouse? A stupid online petition and the willingess to whore out his dignity on every media outlet that would have him, begging for something he hasn't earned.

I kind of hope this at-bat, I'm sorry, "plate appearance" ends in a plunking, too.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wish this site had a 'Like' button.

Draft saved Draft deleted