1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Dunn: Hall of Famer? (Also: Big Papi?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2012.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK, maybe he wasn't great with the glove but I don't hold his OBP against him. In the era he played in, no one paid attention to that stat. Plus, at the time he retired he was in the top 20 in career home runs.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We know you don't care about defense. You wouldn't worship Jeter if you did.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not that there was much to begin with - but all credibility lost right there. Dave Kingman? Hall of Fame?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just checked my 1981 Topps baseball card set.

"BB" is a category on the back of the cards.

I suppose you raise an interesting point, though. How much should our player evaluations take into account what was valued during that era, even if we later come to understand that it was flawed thinking? Eddie Collins had 33 sacrifice bunts in a year in which he hit .372, and 39 sacrifices in a year in which he hit .360. Ichiro has never had more than four. Tony Gwynn topped out at 11 and Wade Boggs at eight. But I bet Collins would have been criticized in his time if he didn't give himself up as frequently as he did. He's the all-time leader in sacrifices, and I'm willing to bet that they hurt his team more than they helped him. Was that his fault, though? That's how the game was played then.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Kingman was also influential. Jim Thome, to name one player, has talked about how watching Kingman blast home runs inspired him to play baseball. So he also has that going for him.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

And I'm not a fan, but Big Papi will get in. He was probably the best hitter in the AL from 2003-07.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In that case, Collins was executing a game plan. Kingman just had no discipline. A .302 on-base percentage is terrible. It was terrible then, too.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think so, too, but think of, even now, how irritated Moddy gets when people suggest that Mike Morse should develop more discipline.

I suspect that at least some people in baseball at the time - hell, Dusty Baker still thinks this - thought that Kingman's low OBP was a good thing because it indicated that he was "aggressive."

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

But no one cared back then if a hitter didn't have a good OBP. Kingman was one of the highest paid players in the game at his peak. Sure, Mike Schmidt was a better all-around player but I bet their paychecks weren't that different.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think that he was ever among the highest paid players. Two minutes on Google led me to an article about his huge $3.5 million contract that even eclipsed what the Mets paid Craig Swan ($3.15). His highest recorded salary was just over $1 million in a year that Eddie Murray was highest paid at $2.6 million.

He certainly was never considered one of the best players.

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

So based on that standard should we just induct Barry Zito and A.J. Burnett as well?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think this concept hhas jumped the shark when Dave Kingman, let alone Adam Dunn, is being considered, and we're slagging on a. 372 hitter for bunting

Draft saved Draft deleted