1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Dunn: Hall of Famer? (Also: Big Papi?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where Dunn laps him at is on-base percentage. Kingman: .302. Dunn: .373.

That's one reason Dunn has more strikeouts. He goes deeper into counts.

Obviously, Dunn's may go down as he ages, but he'll still be leaps and bounds ahead of Kingman in OBP.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would be curious what the number of intentional walks issued in the 1980s compared to today.

It seemed pretty rare back then. I could very well be wrong.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that Canseco could still produce at a high level. His declining skills and fragile body made him into a pinch hitter and part-time DH, but he still wanted to be paid like a star.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lord does he ever. He's the king of the called third strike.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He would have played for next to nothing

6. outofplace

You buy that? I guess you think he wrote his book for the good of the game, too.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And your proof that you are somfondmof asking for that he wouldn't is what?

8. outofplace

Stories I read at the time. And no, I'm not going to dig them up. I'm tired of arguing with people who think that dirtbag isn't a liar just because he tossed out a bunch of allegations and some (not all) were proven correct.

Honestly, now that I think of it, I doubt you could provide acceptable evidence on your end. Canseco's word isn't nearly good enough.

The point stands. Canseco wants everybody to believe he was blackballed and it was some great injustice, but his skills as a hitter were declining, he could no longer play the field and he couldn't stay healthy even as a pinch hitter or a DH.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that it's been posted here before, but yeah, here's the profile / non-profile of Jose: http://deadspin.com/372409/chasing-jose-by-pat-jordan - At a certain point, Jose flipped from wanting to be paid like a superstar, to his current philosophy, which is that he'll jump at any paycheck, whether it's for celebrity boxing or just letting dudes pay to hang around his house. However, even then, that Deadspin article talks about him blowing quite a few deals in his currently diminished state because of his demands.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I'll admit I wasn't thinking terms of a player at a premium position like Jeter.

However, what about as a corner OF or 1B? Say if Ortiz and Ryan Howard switched places and Ortiz was a below average-bad defensive 1B.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I don't think Adam Dunn is a 'lock' for 500 HRs. He is at least three seasons away, and how do we know he won't have another season like 2011?

I never saw Kingman play but based on his stats and the era he played in I would vote for him.

12. outofplace

Horrible defensive player. Career .236 batting average and .302 on-base percentage. Even the slugging percentage was below .500. The guy was power and nothing else and did not reach 500 home runs.

It has to be intentional, right? Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted