1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Dunn: Hall of Famer? (Also: Big Papi?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hell no on Dunn.
    Big Papi is also a no but he gets in before Dunn.
    Both are in the Hall of very good.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Dunn this generation's Dave Kingman?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That is exactly the naqme I was going to bring up.

In fact, my post, iof you hadn't gotten there first, was just going to read:

Dave Kingman: Hall of Famer?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That really isn't fair to Dunn. Kingman didn't get on base the way Dunn does. Dunn's career OPS is over 100 points higher than Kingman's.

5. Mizzougrad96

Anybody who is going to get to 500 HR merits a HOF discussion, because until recently, that was a number that guaranteed you get into Cooperstown.

I say yes to Ortiz even though he's not likely to get to 500 HR or any of the other milestones that typically guarantee you a spot in Cooperstown.

Five top five MVP finishes in a row is damn impressive. Postseason heroics certainly won't hurt, and he played a significant role on two championship teams. He's also very popular and playing in Boston doesn't hurt.

Where Dunn would get interesting would be if he got close to 600. I still don't think it would be enough.

6. Mizzougrad96

How does Dunn compare to McGwire? Dunn reminds me a lot of McGwire when he was in his Oakland days.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dunn goes straight to the Hall of Sometimes Really Good.

And how about Paul Konerko? C'mon, now, he's a swell guy.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I looked it up. McGwire was the far superior hitter.

McGwire through age 32: 154 OPS+, .924 OPS,, 37.4 WAR, 329 home runs, .258 BA (two essentially lost seasons because of injury)
    Dunn through age 32: 127 OPS+, .876 OPS, 13.7 WAR, 389 home runs, .242 BA (one lost season due to sucking)

In 1986, at age 32, McGwire had his first 50 home run year, hitting 52 for the 1996 A's, just to give you some reference point on where he was at at that point, career-wise.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think we've had that thread. And ESPN had a pretty in-depth column about it recently.

He's closing in, seems to be the consensus, but not quite there yet.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Moddy nailed it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought my sarcasm was evident. Think blue font.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted