1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ad Trends Are Trickling Down...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Apr 7, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

...and the Daily Bruin, UCLA's student newspaper, isn't happy about it.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/04/daily_bruin_financial_sit.php

I'm not sure I'd have been quite so publicly ungrateful about a full-page ad from Haagen-Dazs, even if it was a wrap-around.

But this really gives the paper -- both its editorial and its business side -- a taste of what's going on in the professional ranks.

I guess they're finding out that it's nowhere near as good as any Haagen-Dazs flavor.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, the Bruin folks have a point: Those wrap-around A-1 ads truly, truly suck. NOBODY likes them -- except, maybe, the advertisers themselves. And, well, they better. Because they're paying good money for it.

We had a half-page wrap-around A-1 ad once, and there's nothing you can do with it; can't just take it out, otherwise you lose the op/ed page(s) in the back. It's annoying to fold it back. Not easy to rip it out, either, because you have to be careful not to lose those aforementioned op/ed pages, which are popular.

We got a ton of angry phone calls from readers the day we ran that ad. They were as annoyed about it as we were.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Real world intrudes on college. Film at 11.

Draft saved Draft deleted