1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actual V-ball mommy e-mail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Sep 26, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Because the uterus is out of reach.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you ask if her daughter was hot and if she was 18?

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Dead. On. Balls. Accurate.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Toward the end of my prep run I used various versions of this. It was gold. I got a lot of huffy retorts along these lines: "Well <long pause> ... they work really hard!"

A buddy of mine had a daughter was was a damn good soccer player and she had been recruited to one of those elite squads at a pretty young age. He was hesitant about her joining and leaving the team she had played with for years. So he met with the coach to see what kind of guy he was and it was nothing but "scholarship this, college coaches that." The daughter stayed put. I hope I'm that kind of dad someday.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice visual

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

TP, leave it to you come up with the best post on the thread. Ha! Guys, I think we all deal with the same thing. Somebody is always whining about coverage. I covered this prep tennis match in the spring attended by about 15 people. This woman complained that I didn't cover the previous week's match. Where was I, she asked. Uh, I was covering a prep baseball game that had a crowd of 1,200. Nope, she didn't get it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe we should take on the model of colleges and have endowed chairs in journalism. Have parents raise a bunch of money in subscriptions or ad dollars for a guaranteed volleyball reporter. I know it sounds silly, but I've heard of a place hiring a specific guy because of the support he had from some readers.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Most of the parents who complain about this tend to come from upper-middle and upper-class communities, where they could probably afford to pay full sticker price if necessary.
    I get a sense in those cases, the athletic scholarship is more a status symbol than anything else, something to brag about to other parents.
    If that's the case, instead of the scholarship money, why not just give them a bumber sticker saying "My child is a scholarship athlete at the University of Suck My Dick."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I applied for the SID job there.
    ;)

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

See, that's why I don't let it bother me.

I figure if the kid in question has these douche-nuggets as parents, there's a great chance that once he/she gets to college they're going to go crazy with all the newfound freedoms.

So, yeah, today that parent might be pissing you off. But someday soon little Julia is going to be getting tagged teamed by six varsity soccer players in front of the whole dorm and/or little Robert is going to be snorting drugs off a fat chick's bare ass.

In other words, just smile and nod your head. Nature evens itself out eventually.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, to be honest, that's about as in-depth of a response as the person deserved.

i remember several years back attempting to inform a volleyball parent that college coaches didn't recruit from newspapers. told the person that we worked fairly close with college coaches and kinda knew what we were talking about since we had something like 8 in the area.

that person told me that i was wrong, and that, yes, indeed college coaches do recruit by reading newspapers ... and she kept repeating her bottom line without adding facts to the conversation.

it was at that point that i simply slipped to my bottom line: "ms. jackie, this debate is irrelevant. to be honest, i don't care how colleges recruit any player. i get paid to sell newspapers, which has absolutely nothing to do with recruiting any person other than applicants when we have openings inside the sports department down here at the douchebag press."

her: "so you're telling me you don't care about my daughter."

me: "no, no i'm not. i'm sure she's a very nice person. but if i became vested in every school's recruiting class every year, it'd become fairly difficult to do my job ... you know, selling papers."

her: "oh."

of course i'm paraphrasing, but that was a pretty darn close description of the convo. the funny thing is, the same woman called back about two weeks later and attempted to have the same debate.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I keep my bumber clean, thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted