1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actual V-ball mommy e-mail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe her kid was just in it for the broomstick hazing.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

College volleyball coaches, of course, pay little or no attention to HS volleyball.

Club volleyball is where college recruiting takes place. HS volleyball is pretty much irrelevant.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

It's threads like these that make me get down on my knees and thank God I no longer have to deal with preps.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm going to find out where these people work and call them to complain about the jobs they're doing. That'll show 'em.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What bothers me about parents bitching about scholarships is that it is really their responsibility to pay for their kid's college, not anyone else's. It's like they're blaming the paper, or their kid's coach, or other people because they don't feel like paying for their kid's tuition.

And I know I may get ripped on for this, but it also bothers me when I read about inner-city kids who want to get an athletic scholarship so '"they can get out of the neighborhood." I understand the inner-city schools don't have the financial resources that suburban schools have, but when I read about that, I always want to yell, "How about studying, instead!"

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

when I played, i always felt fortunate if we got two graphs in the paper.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, to be fair to the readers who might be confused, space given to preps has gone way downhill at a lot of places -- along with everything else -- and they might wonder why, now that their kid is up, they have to be punished for the industry's mistakes.

When I was a kid (walked through three foot deep snow eight miles to school, yeah, yeah), a typical dual meet in my home town newspaper would publish results 10 deep.

My daughter's basketball team got more coverage five years ago than a similar team now.

So there is visual evidence that it ain't what it used to be.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Why the kidneys?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I sucked as an athlete.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Some jucos, though, aren't necessarily in a position to leave the scraps at the table, so to speak. The coaches can talk to me about club volleyball all they want, but the girls they have on their rosters aren't playing for clubs unless they're commuting 90-120 miles to do it.

It shows in the level of play. The good Division II jucos in Kansas are good enough they should be in Division I but see playing down as the way to a championship. The bad Division II jucos would have a tough time with high school teams.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The bottom line is some parents just don't fucking get it.

Their kid's golf score or volleyball match or tennis tournament does not matter except to a very small group of people. Three or four paragraphs is going to be it. They don't understand the need to cover other schools, seek a compelling story or why football garners more interest than a swim meet.

We can be as nice as possible and they'll keep coming back for more, just like Rainman looking for Wapner at 4 p.m.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Actually, I did, despite the best efforts of the local paper to keep me for getting noticed.

Draft saved Draft deleted