1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actual V-ball mommy e-mail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Sep 26, 2008.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

You know, I remeber not too long back when Tom Izzo called me up seeking my most recent basketball gamers. He was looking for some talent.

And oh yeah, just yesterday evening I fielded a call from Bob Stoopes asking me to send him my game stroy from tonight.

Who can blame him? I mean I'm almost positive the Oregon State found Jacquizz Rodgers because of my state championship game story last year. If only Pete Carrol had of read it first!!!

(For those of you who need it....please read this post in blue font mode)

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was on deadline Tuesday morning as the receptionist called our production room to let me know someone was looking for me. Normally, I would say "Tell this person to come back later" but when I called her she said "Oh, I told him you'd be right out. He's been waiting."

I wanted to punch her in the kidneys.

Anyhoo, I figure I'll go talk to this person, tell them I'm on deadline and blow them off after six seconds. I get there and it's this 60 or 70-year old gentlemen.

He comes into the office to complain that the South Pissant boys soccer team, which is in the state's top division, is undefeated and we haven't covered them enough. I respond that, even though there are other schools in our coverage area that we still haven't covered, we'd actually covered the South Pissant team with FOUR articles (a preview, a feature on the new coach and two games).

He said it wasn't enough and pointed to the sports front page story about Snob High, a local Division-II, team. He was mad that we had them covered but not South Pissant. I calmly told him (while also getting kind of pissed he was wasting my time) that South Pissant is not the only team we cover.

His response? "Well, what's more important? Division I or Division II?"

I told him: "Kids are kids. It doesn't matter what division they're in. We have a job to cover local sports, not cover just the local sports that are important to a particular group of people."

He left a little upset. I walked away not caring.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

We're all going to hell for all the kids we've cost potential scholarships.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's time like these I'm glad my parents didn't care about me while I was growing up.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The 40-minute phone conversation I had with a swimming parent a few years ago ended with her saying "If you were a parent, you'd understand how I feel."
    1). If my kid has my athletic ability he or she will be lucky to wear a varsity uniform.
    2). I certainly hope I wouldn't have that sense of entitlement.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

3) And if I were like you, my kid would have hanged himself by now.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

4) I'd want to have a kid smart enough not to need an athletic scholarship but talented enough that he could if he wants it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does that mean?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

5) I'd teach my kid to beat up your kid and then look for you.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's the thing, when my siblings and I were playing high school sports it never crossed anyone in my family's mind to call the paper and complain about coverage. If they didn't cover our game or spelled my name wrong in the box score we might mention it around the house, but my parents would have never, ever called the paper.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did you get an athletic scholarship, Jake?

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I told a lady the other day that if the kids are playing athletics to get in the newspaper, rather than to play for the leadership skills, camaraderie, friendships and personal character building, they're playing them for the wrong reasons.

The lady was absolutely speechless. Score one for the good guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted