1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actors who get a lot of work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Was thinking that one of the most ubiquitous guys working today is JK Simmons, who seems to be working all the time.

He is an interesting guy because he's not really a character actor.

He plays a lot of police captains and professionals (on The Closer and Law & Order) he also was the blue-collar dad in Juno and J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman. And he played a real bad-ass on Oz.

Looking at his IMDB profile, he also does a ton of voice work.

Any others actors you notice that seem to be everywhere?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title, the first person I thought of was J.K. Simmons.

The voice actors, people you wouldn't recognize if you saw them, seem to be a pretty small pool and they work in everything animated. Like John DiMaggio, who is on Futurama and about a billion other things.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As for big-studio releases . . . no one works more than Michael Caine . . .
    all the more remarkable, considering his age.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Simmons was also the torn manager in "For Love of the Game", the baseball version of Brad Childress dealing with Brett Favre (Kevin Costner).

5. I realize this is more of a long-tern thread, but I was suprised to see that Gerard Butler had four movies released in 2009 alone. His romantic comedy stuff is comical for all the wrong reasons, though.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

William Fichner -- currently playing Johnny Drama's producer on Entourage. I'm sure it's no accident he was cast - his career has been very similar to Drama's.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001209/

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For a long time, in the 70s, 80s, 90s, it was Michael Caine and Gene Hackman. They each have been in some great films (particularly Hackman) and in some of the worst stinkers ever. I don't think they actually read the scripts. If it was paying work, they were on board. To the tune of like 800 movies a year, I think.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Alec Baldwin's face appears to have gotten a lot of work, to no good effect.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kevin Bacon.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

JK Simmons is the perfect name to kick off this thread. Samuel L. Jackson needs to be mentioned here also.

11. Clancy Brown

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000317/

There can only be one (Mr. Crab)

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Interesting because I consider him a quintessential character actor. How would you define the term?

Draft saved Draft deleted