1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at Columbia, MD, mall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Given the level of reading comprehension you are showing in this thread, I'm not sure you could make it to said meeting without walking into several door frames.

2. RickStain

The fact that people can make it through their education without learning about false-choice fallacies proves that somebody untoward won.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not misreading this.

The impact media coverage has on gun violence is negligible compared to the impact unfettered gun ownership has on gun violence.

Bringing up media coverage is the equivalent of eschewing the bulldozer and trying to raze a forest with one ax.

4. RickStain

We're journalists. We talk about journalism things. The fact that we're talking about it doesn't in any way imply that we believe other factors are less important or less influential.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We are?

I think there's two journalists left here.

6. RickStain

It's a stink that won't wash off, I'm afraid.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The "leaders" who are the ones motivating the bombers love the coverage. The bombers themselves think they're doing it for religious salvation.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The result is the same, though. Attention leads to action.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

So, the media should be outlawed, then nothing would ever happen?

10. RickStain

The media should voluntarily tone down the sensationalization of non-local random violence, and it would likely happen less often.

Wouldn't likely have any effect on larger gun violence, but this very specific type could be made less common.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hollywood, for the most part, stopped glamorizing smoking.

Broadcasters stopped showing the idiots who run on the field during baseball games.

Neither of these actions were mandated, but both seem to have helped.

If the media wants to be part of the solution, instead part of the problem, there is a path to take.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Some 150+ years ago, mostly the only news you got was word of mouth from your neighbors and from newspapers, and it was mostly local news, particularly in rural areas.

I am sure shootings were going on all over the country, and particularly out in the wild, wild west, but they weren't made into national news and they were rarely mass shootings.

Could be wrong, but I doubt podunk shooter X in Bumfuck was mentioned much in the national press back then.

Not sure when things began to change. Telegraph?

Draft saved Draft deleted