1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at Columbia, MD, mall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think pretty low on the reasons people do this stuff is, some other guy did it, my turn!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Still, far too many of these. Sometimes I wonder if it will happen at a mall where I'm at. Seems totally random, so maybe it could happen in your neighborhood, too.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's real, tangible, scientific evidence that the media voluntarily reducing the coverage of suicides brings down the suicide rate. There's no reason to think that mass shootings don't work the same way, and a lot of reason to think they would.

4. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

So, no need to take aways guns, just take away coverage of gun-related crime?

Brilliant.

5. RickStain

It's hard to be *that* wrong that many times in such a short post.

1) That's a false choice fallacy.
    2) Nobody said anything about "taking away" media coverage. I specifically said "voluntary" reductions in coverage.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rick's evidence in a prior thread that speculated about the effect of reducing media coverage was what convinced me that it may be part of the solution.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Suicide rate rose between 2000-2010. Is that when the media started writing about suicide again?

8. RickStain

The experiments with media voluntarily reducing coverage weren't in America.

9. TheSportsPredictor

What I am reading (Werther effect) says that writing about the means of suicide or sensationalizing it brings on a copycat effect, not just reporting about suicides.

10. RickStain

But, I mean, what would the CDC know? They're probably just pro-gun advocates out to get the media.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00031539.htm

11. RickStain

Sure.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Right.

Draft saved Draft deleted