1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Action Vs. Emotion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Photog has filed one great action shot, one great emotional shot (dejected player on the sideline after a big fuck up).

Team lost, not all because of said player, but lost none the less. Second consecutive loss, too. No panic button pushed, but close.

If it's you, do you run the action shot or the emotional shot?

Me, I think the emotional shot tells more of a story. And I think that's what photos should do. (Although, I once worked for a guy who would not, under any circumstance, run a photo without the ball, puck, tool of trade in the photo. I'm dead serious)

Anyway, which of the above two mentioned do you run? Why?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why can't you package them and run both?

3. Pete Incaviglia

I have two and a half pages today. Banner/strip ad on front. Half page ad on page 3. There's no way, not with NFL kicking off.

4. Can you use one and save the other for a file photo? If so, I'd use the emotional one now, and save the action photo for either a feature or preview.

5. Pete Incaviglia

We're doing a slideshow on website. I'm leaning emotion in print. Action on web.

6. jps

jps Active Member

you're a good leaner, my friend. right call.
    (just be ready to talk with the kid's dad/mom/neighbor tomorrow when you find that he cannot return to school and will have to move across state lines because of the extreme amount of embarrasment you've caused him and his family.)

7. huh?

8. been here, done this.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What sport, what level.
    A freshman in high school, maybe not. College, fuck yeah

10. Pete Incaviglia

College.

I found a way to run both in print. I actually love the layout I came up with.

And, both shots are in the slide show on the website.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd go with the emotion shot as the bigger photo, but I'd use the action shot either as a secondary front photo or as an inside photo to go with the jump.

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Emotion. That's what it's all about.

Draft saved Draft deleted