1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Across the Universe.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You and your significant other looking for a move you can agree on?

Go see Across the Universe, and thank me later.

If every musical was full of Beatles' music, every musical would kick serious ass. The movie had solid acting, and it was beautifully shot and edited.

2. I didn't realize there was dialogue. Judging from the trailers, it's just one big music video ...

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks, HP. The good woman despises musicals with a passion, but I'm a Beatles freak so I might have to hit this one solo.

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I could not agree more!

About 10 minutes into the movie, I realized it was already my favorite movie ever. I bought the soundtrack and have been listening to it non-stop. Not only was it amazing, but it forced me to get my Beatles albums back out and give them a few spins.

Absolutely fantastic, and if you are really into the Beatles I don't see how you could possibly let down.

I plan on seeing it again.

Ten thumbs up.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just saw ATU tonight -- solo, naturally, and joined by only six others in the theatre (two walked out.)

I fucking loved it.

There is dialogue, but you'll barely notice it. There's a storyline, too, but ditto. The reality is, it's one big Beatles cover concert (Bono as Dr. Robert performing "I Am The Walrus"! :D; Joe Cocker sings and Salma Hayek is a sexy nurse in other cameos ...), a lot of psychedelic graphics and about 100 did-you-catch-that references to Beatles trivia sprinkled throughout the movie (some are obvious, like how Prudence "came in through the bathroom window," and some aren't, like when Jude slices open the fruit on the table and the half of an apple core looks just like <a href="http://members.aol.com/bnbbeatlesdepot/apple3.jpg">the label on a Beatles' vinyl record</a>.)

In another life, I wish I could have fired up a bowl before I went to see this, because then I would have never left the theater.

The story is tacky (my sister and I put on a similar show in our living room with a plot and characters based on Beatles lyrics when we were 11) ... but the acting, such as, is stellar (SJMN.com: Evan Rachel Wood shows a tit, if that helps) and the direction is superb.

And, of course, the music makes it all worthwhile.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, but Marilyn Manson probably sucked on that tit before she showed it.

7. The wife and I saw this today based on the preview. She wanted to some some political thriller like Michael Clayton or Rendition, but I really wasn't up to watching something like that on my day off. I wanted to see We Own the Night.

So, we saw the musical, but it was so different from anything we've seen in a while that we don't know how we feel about it. I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure if I would sit through another viewing. Maybe. And I also say this as a guy who doesn't care for the Beatles that much. I'm an Elvis man. </pulpfiction> I'm sure I didn't catch one-tenth of the references.

And I did find Bono's cameo amusing.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A movie based on Beatles songs!! Now there's a concept!!

[​IMG]

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I still think that in the actual song Across the Universe, it sounds like Lennon is saying 'Jack Arute Day' during the fadeout.

Maybe the Beatles knew he was going to be a sideline and trackside reporter. . .

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Buckdubs is right.

Bono's "I Am The Walrus" was fan-fucking-tastic, as were some other covers.

And yes, the story isn't great, but the acting is solid, and I thought some of the dances were badass. And it's as aesthically pleasing as any movie I've seen in a while.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This was directed by the women who figured out to turn The Lion King into a Broadway musical, so she's working with some pretty serious musical chops.

The wife really, really digs the Beatles, so we're there ... if we can find in hereabouts.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The Beatles ... there is no substitute. I've got to see this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted