1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Achtung! Germans pissed at possible Autobahn speed limit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Half of the famed roadway already has speed limits but some folks want to create a universal limit ... as low as 75 mph ... because of the impact on global warming.

Other than that, and the fact I'd probably die in a fiery wreck, how cool would it be to have something like that here in the states?

New York Times link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/world/europe/16autobahn.html?em&ex=1174276800&en=3624f69f6379ab3f&ei=5087%0A

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Search out some of the horrific videos of Autobahn crashes, you probably wouldn't think it would be so cool.

We don't need stupid fuckers driving 150 mph on our roads. I'm an almost-perfect driver myself -- one accident and three moving violations in 32 years of driving -- I don't need to end up getting killed by some son of a bitch trying to drive like Dale Earnhardt and finding out he can't.

3. Oh, don't take your foul mood out on me ... :-*

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Montana has no posted speed limit, or at least used to, right sportschick?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem is that North Americans drive differently than Europeans. No speed limt freeways wouldn't work here unless there was a massive re-education programme.

Over there you NEVER drive in the passing lane unless you're passing. And you'd be executed if you passed on the right.

The problem isn't some guy doing 150 kph. It's some asshole in the passing lane doing 90kph.

Those are the guys who cause the accidents.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's the guys going 150 kph (90 mph) too.

7. Of course it wouldn't work here. I can't even drive my car legally without wearing a seatbelt but for some reason, at least in my state, any dick on a motorcycle can ride without a helmet ...

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, there's a speed limit. Even when there wasn't a posted one, you had to drive in a "reasonable and prudent" manner, meaning out of staters best keep in under 80.

Now, it's 80 on some Interstate stretches, and the staties wait at the state line for morons who hit the Montana line and floor it.

Draft saved Draft deleted