1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ach! My retirement grease!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, May 29, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The New York Times gives us another example of life imitating The Simpsons.

Couldn't find it on their Web site yet.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People convert their diesel cars and put in filtration systems so their engines can run on a mixture of fryer grease and diesel. There are tutorials all over the Internet. A few years ago, it was a relatively small number of people and restaurants were all too happy to give away their used cooking oil, because they had to pay someone to cart it away. But the number of people running on "greisel" has increased and the used cooking oil has turned into a semi-valuable commodity.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This has been addressed on other threads...
    This is hardly new. I even had one.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The key part of that statement is 'semi-valuable.'
    It traded today for $33 cwt.
    If you're willing to risk being charged with a felony, there are more sensible risk-reward gambles.
    The guy in the story is obviously no Lex Luthor.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Everyone should think about this when the oil vs. alternative fuels debate pops up. Do we really want criminals stealing our precious fryer grease in the middle of the night? Tap ANWR now!

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

How soon before restaurants investigate how to hook a pump up to their grease barrels/fryer bins and charge people to take it away in their gas tanks?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm so happy with the thread title. Well done.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted