1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ace Sports Reporter | Minot, North Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jun 14, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Ace Sports Reporter

Upper Midwest daily in medium sized city (50,000) is seeking staff sports writer. This is a full-time position in the sports division of newsroom. Responsibilities include broad knowledge of an array of high school and college sports, game coverage, features, profiles and enterprise stories. Ability to multi-task, develop and maintain source relationships and network in a small community necessary. Basic sports photography and awareness of AP style required. Some professional experience preferred but willing to develop the right candidate with collegiate experience. Minot is home to the Minot Minotauros, a succesful NAHL hockey team, and Minot State University, a Division II college. Join the new staff of a 100 - plus year newspaper with a strong legacy and standing in its community. Newspaper is a part of a private company whose holdings include over 40 newspapers in the U.S., offering growth potential and a comprehensive benefits package in an upbeat and fast-paced setting. Send a cover letter, resume and clips to sports editor Garrick Hodge at ghodge@minotdailynews.com

2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Gives new meaning to 'ace in the hole'

3. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

I can shed some light here, having worked there for nearly two years.

Minot is basically a suburb without a big city nearby. There's a mall, bars, restaurants, a bowling alley, Target, Wal-Mart, etc., but Minneapolis (roughly nine hours away) is the closest real city. Cost of living isn't nearly as bad as it was after the flood a few years back (coupled with the oil boom). Salary isn't going to be cushy, but it's doable for sure.

The sports staff (editor and two reporters) is the best part of an otherwise pretty subpar paper. Very few folks on the news side ever have ambition to leave Minot, so they work their 40 hours a week and do the bare minimum. Sports writers there are generally looking to cut their teeth and move on, so they're typically hard-working and young. I went from there to covering the University of Wyoming and others have moved on to terrific papers, so it's certainly an opportunity to get some good clips and make a vertical move when the time's right. That said, the publisher doesn't care about the quality of the paper (or sports) and Ogden Newspapers overall is a pretty horrid ownership group, so you'll have to deal with some BS.

As for the sports scene, Minot High is the largest high school in the state. There are always good small school teams in the area for just about every sport. The paper still sends at least one person to all of the main state tournaments. Minot State is still trying to find its footing at the D-II level, having transitioned from NAIA about five years ago. Then there's Legion baseball and dirt-track racing in the fall. The NAHL team is fairly popular in the winter, too.

Feel free to PM me with more specific questions.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leave me out of this. Though I bet the wrestling is good.

SFIND likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For those interested ... "My-Not"

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted