1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 12, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

Never use it as a source, journalistic or academic. But you're crazy if you ignore it as a resource because of "credibility" issues.

2. I guess it is pretty accurate then

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Actually JD you kinda just trotted out the infamous Lester Hayes quote after the Raidahs kicked the shit out of the Skins in the Super Bowl.

As SB week progressed, the writers in Tampa could clearly sense the Raiders were a confident team, and the Skins had peaked. They killed the Rams in their first playoff game, then squeaked by the 49ers and Montana. Even though the Redskins were favored, most of the writers there were picking the Raiders.

Lester predicted the final score would be 42-10. The Raidahs won 38-9.

Lester the Molester, afterward: "We do strive for accuracy."

4. I'll be honest, I didn't know it was based on reader contributions until a year or so ago ... I don't think a lot of our reporters did ... but after a couple of papers got burned using it and the lawsuits started popping up it's been rammed down our throats not to use it ... can't imagine that the message hasn't reached everybody.

Do you have a link Sue?

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I just checked. The story is down. New stuff is posted.

Anyway, at our paper, we've had THREE MEMOS in a week reminding us to NOT USE Wikipedia.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have a four memo mininum if they really want my attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted