1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys are crazy. Wikipedia is a tremendous resource that is often accurate.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We strive at our place to be often accurate.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I think Wikipedia is a good first place to go for background. Take the information there under advisement and verify. Not as a source.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I can live with that, because wiki often links to the outside verification which is usually not subject to some unknown dude with an agenda trying to update history.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Good resource.

Iffy source.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anyone who used Wikipedia to find "facts" for a story is making a horseshit journalistic decision... and yes, I've seen it done and I've seen it burn reporters.

7. google isn't a resource, it's a search engine. it can lead you to sources that are just as spotty as wikipedia

ace is correct -- it's a great place to start and to gather ideas, but I double check everything I read on wikipedia

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, SportsJournalists.com has been described "a gossip-and-moan outlet for every frustrated sportswriter in America."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Anyone who runs that without verification is a goddamn idiot moron who probably got the job I applied for!!!

10. Hey, I just did better in the job interview, JD. No need for sour grapes. :D

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Broken clocks, blind squirrels, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted