1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to these guys, Magic faked AIDS ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why exactly would he fake AIDS?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thankful he's alive? Thankful isn't it. I can't remember if I ever thought "Gee, I'm thankful Magic Johnson is alive" Glad he didn't die die? Yes, but really, who the hell cares about Magic Johnson, except maybe folks that like to go to the movies in the ghetto.

And seriously though, why doesn't Isaiah have AIDS, too? How can the pitcher not have what he gave the catcher?

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Especially at the time in which he found out he had it. He had to retire from basketball for crying out loud. What would be the motivation to fake this disease?

As for his health, his weight, etc., one thing Magic had going for him was his extreme wealth. He was able to afford very expensive drugs and maintain the right kind of diet.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention that in 1991, HIV and AIDS still had a stigma that people who had the disease should be rejected from society. It had only been a few years earlier that Ryan White had to fight to be able to go to school.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. Obviously, Magic had a good plan for life after basketball. Certainly, he would have had to be worried that his condition would affect his ability to negotiate future business deals.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's not weird and Magic's not the first person with this disease to ever gain weight. Many of us probably still have the images of the 80s when it comes to the disease.

HIV-POSITIVE PEOPLE NOW OVERWEIGHT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE
    As Disease Becomes a Chronic Condition, Other Health Issues Arise
    http://www.natap.org/2007/IDSA/IDSA_04.htm

The first two points from the roundup of that report:

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To the original point that these two idiots would even say this on air; Magic showed a lot of class in response. I like the "I wish they would educate" line.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't take it as anything more than just another stupid comment from a shock jock.

One radio personality here in Dallas says regularly he thinks Elizabeth Smart disappeared because she was pregnant.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Jack Mackenroth, former Project Runway contestant, HIV-positive for 20 years.

Treatment options for people who are HIV-positive have improved so much in the past 20 years that it's generally seen to be more of a chonic condition in medical circles.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He sleeps with $180,000. [/bestsouthparkever]

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks, sc. I heart Jack.

Draft saved Draft deleted