1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to The Record of Hackensack, Martin Brodeur to miss 3-to-4 months.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

You might remember Sawchuk and Bower, but it was a bit before my time! I think it was the first successful platoon system in net in the league, though. I also remember one season in the 70s when the Leafs actually went with a three-man rotation all year - I think it was Ed Johnston, Doug Favell and Dunc Wilson. Weird, eh?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was? I thought you were the same age as me. :)

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doug Favell and Dunc Wilson are central to my favorite hockey story ever. They were the Leafs' goalie tandem, each a talented player sometimes sidetracked by temptations of the road. Favell liked the ladies and Wilson enjoyed late hours in places that served libations.

Thus, their combined nickname, a takeoff on a popular network news anchor team: C*ntley and Drinkley.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs lose in OT. Still, they came back from 4-1 to tie it.

5. Smasher_Sloan

In the 12 NHL seasons preceding this one, Brodeur had failed to play at least 70 games once: That was in 1996-97 when he played in 67.

So that 22-year-old the Devils would have developed in 1996-97 would be a 35-year-old today. Unless they were supposed to get a succession of hot young backups who would never play. You can't develop playing at the half speed level of the AHL. You have to play in the NHL, and the Devils haven't had an opening for more than a decade.

If Brodeur's injury totally fucks them for this season, I'd say their roll of the dice still worked out pretty well.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Leafs, alas, have never won the Cup in my lifetime. However, when I was just shy of four months old, Bobby Orr took a pass from Derek Sanderson, beat Glenn Hall and then, with some help from Noel Picard, flew through the air with the greatest of ease. :D

7. Smasher_Sloan

That's good to know.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great story about Favell and Wilson. Thing about Favell, he was probably an even better lacrosse player than he was a hockey player. His dad, Doug Sr., was also a world-class netminder who won a Mann Cup for Owen Sound in 1950.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It would have been stupid then, but even if Brodeur did not get hurt drafting a potential replacement in the last couple years wouldn't have been a bad idea. Like I said earlier the devils over the last 20 years have been one of the top 2 organizations in hockey so it's hard to criticize them.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The role of the backup goalie has changed dramatically, particularly since the new CBA. There's no 1A and 1B any more (think Richter & the Beezer). Teams find a back-up that they can pay as little as possible and not some guy who's going to "challenge" the #1 goalie. Doesn't work like that any more.

Look at the back-ups of the 30 teams and name me one--and I mean ONE guy--who's bieng groomed for the starter position.

The prospects are all playing in the AHL which is where goalies develop. It's a huge jump from major junior or US college hockey to the NHL. The A is the logical building block, not sitting at the end of a bench for 65 games.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's always good to have a legit top prospect ready to go in because you never know when you star may go down. And if he doesn't then you trade them for assests, even if it turns into a mid-round pick, it's the cost of insurance. Even if you don't want to grab a young guy and go, lure an older Euro/Russian goalie who is already pretty well developed as a cheap insurance policy.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with goalie top prospects: unless you've got a Roy on your hands, it's more difficult to project a 18 year old's goalie future abilities than any other position.

Pittsburgh almost destroyed Fleury's career by throwing him in net at eighteen.

Draft saved Draft deleted