1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to a person ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Whipped, May 28, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Could we get a spoiler alert before you out yourself as Versatile?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fair enough. What you seem to arguing is verifying the accuracy of the source, which I suppose is easier to fake in writing than in person or via phone.

Still, I have interviewed LOTS of people through the years whom I had never met in person at the time (or ever, in some cases). Could I have been speaking with an imposter? I suppose it's possible, although I never did ask "How do I know this is coach Sucker speaking?"

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

I was taught to use "according to" when referring to written documents (i.e., according to an affidavit filed Friday) and to avoid it following quotes because it casts doubt on the speaker's words. Same thing with "claimed."

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In the future, whenever doing a phone interview, I will ask the subject for the last four digits of his social security number and mother's maiden name in order to verify identity. Hey, that's the very least I get asked for every time my cable shorts out and I have to call the cable company's customer "service" hotline.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or you could just write "said in a phone interview."

Whichever.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I did a story that relied mostly upon fans for quotes, and I asked one guy to spell his last name for me, because I'd never heard anything like it.

"C-r-a-p ..."

I stopped him there and asked him to pronounce the full name again. He did.

I actually asked him to show me his driver's license -- because I'd never heard a last name like his and thought he was giving me a fake name.

Sure enough, it checked out, and I found out it was not as rare a name as I'd thought.

C-r-a-p-a-n-z-a-n-o.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Craphonso Thorpe doesn't understand why you'd be skeptical.

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Nastiest e-mail I've gotten was from a coach because I used "according to (him)" in a story. He interpreted it as me not believing him. Came out of left field to me, because my real intent was to give it weight of having come from one of our area's most respected coaches. Oh well.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Guess you never can go wrong with "said".

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We have the last name Crapo in our area. By the way, that's a long 'A' sound.
    Also spent part of my childhood in Burlington, Iowa, home of Crapo Park (pronounced like the above).

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There was once a star running back at one of the area high schools here named Mohammed Shittu.

Draft saved Draft deleted